Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whipple Intercooler Install Fun

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I installed my intercooler yesterday and it was pretty simple using all of the online info available. I did have one big glitch and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. The video I used has you removing the four bolts at the very bottom of the main shroud as the last thing to do before removing it. My ST (2023) has 6 rivets along the bottom of the main shroud. This was a bad time to have my rivet tool out on loan! I ended up dropping the frame support member that the shroud was attached too. Not easy getting that thing back in place! Or the lower brackets (or in my case, "bracket" as I received two left brackets) in place!

Yeah....and I got two of the same handed lower brackets for the intercooler. So currently running with one lower bracket. Fortunately I have the lower bracket on the left side as you are looking at the car. The right side has a bolt mount at the top so I fell somewhat ok temporarily. A good reminder for myself to always check contents! This thing sat in my shop for two weeks before I had time to install it.

I feel like all of you are sucking me into some kind of a trap. Up until a month ago I wasn't going to do any mods to the engine/drivetrain side of this car. I was all about suspension and handling. Now I have an intercooler. And I am looking at tunes......and........:LOL:

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Modding can become an addiction! :LOL:

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Every one on the forum is more than happy to help you spend your money. Have fun.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I installed my intercooler yesterday and it was pretty simple using all of the online info available. I did have one big glitch and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. The video I used has you removing the four bolts at the very bottom of the main shroud as the last thing to do before removing it. My ST (2023) has 6 rivets along the bottom of the main shroud. This was a bad time to have my rivet tool out on loan! I ended up dropping the frame support member that the shroud was attached too. Not easy getting that thing back in place! Or the lower brackets (or in my case, "bracket" as I received two left brackets) in place!

Yeah....and I got two of the same handed lower brackets for the intercooler. So currently running with one lower bracket. Fortunately I have the lower bracket on the left side as you are looking at the car. The right side has a bolt mount at the top so I fell somewhat ok temporarily. A good reminder for myself to always check contents! This thing sat in my shop for two weeks before I had time to install it.

I feel like all of you are sucking me into some kind of a trap. Up until a month ago I wasn't going to do any mods to the engine/drivetrain side of this car. I was all about suspension and handling. Now I have an intercooler. And I am looking at tunes......and........:LOL:
Must be the small diff between the whipple and Mishimoto kit. The instructions had me drill out the rivets and provide new plastic clips to replace them after removing. Glad you figured it out, always fun when installing new parts to have it not go as planned.

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Must be the small diff between the whipple and Mishimoto kit. The instructions had me drill out the rivets and provide new plastic clips to replace them after removing. Glad you figured it out, always fun when installing new parts to have it not go as planned.
Thanks. And glad you had instructions that were accurate. Interesting that yours is a '21 and has the rivets. You'd think someone would update the instructions by now. When I get the correct bracket I plan to drill out the rivets and go back in with new rivets. Doing what I did this last time is definitely not the right way to go about it!

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Thanks. And glad you had instructions that were accurate. Interesting that yours is a '21 and has the rivets. You'd think someone would update the instructions by now. When I get the correct bracket I plan to drill out the rivets and go back in with new rivets. Doing what I did this last time is definitely not the right way to go about it!
I think the biggest diff is the brand of kit. You got it done...not crazy if it worked right lol?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I just did my whipple this weekend.
I drilled out the rivets, and Amazon overnighted a rivet nut gun and stainless rivet nuts/bolts.

Unfortunately, I didnt have small enough ones, but I drilled out the holes and used M6 hex bolts. (requires wide washers)
I have a feeling I will need to remove it again in the future and will not deal with rivets again later.

Honestly, I cant believe ford used rivets, I know they were cutting costs, but it is silly.

Reactions
I believe only the 2020 Explorer's had the bolts and 21+'s had the rivets, small changes. Also, there were 2 revision's of the whipple brackets, you may have had the 1st one?

Not sure if there are vids with the rivets as most were done for the 2020. So might be a bit confusing for others that are also changing the IC on the newer years

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I believe only the 2020 Explorer's had the bolts and 21+'s had the rivets, small changes. Also, there were 2 revision's of the whipple brackets, you may have had the 1st one?

Not sure if there are vids with the rivets as most were done for the 2020. So might be a bit confusing for others that are also changing the IC on the newer years
I'm not sure what bracket I have. But the folks at Steeda are getting me a corrected one so all good there with the exception of having to pull the entire thing apart again.

I watched three different videos and they must all be 2020's as they all had bolts. Not a big deal but definitely a surprise since you are deeply invested in the teardown once you get to that step.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I watched three different videos and they must all be 2020's as they all had bolts. Not a big deal but definitely a surprise since you are deeply invested in the teardown once you get to that step.
Yea, I was pretty pissed about that too.
"Wait, rivets? What the fook?!" [*looks up rivets on this forum*] "Ahh,... uh huh. Rivet nut gun overnight on Amazon it is then."
I'm just glad that I wasn't lazy, started Saturday, and they were willing to overnight for Sunday morning.

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Yea, I was pretty pissed about that too.
"Wait, rivets? What the fook?!" [*looks up rivets on this forum*] "Ahh,... uh huh. Rivet nut gun overnight on Amazon it is then."
I'm just glad that I wasn't lazy, started Saturday, and they were willing to overnight for Sunday morning.
I'm with you on the rivets. The bigger deal honestly was the mixed up bracket. And you will appreciate this being a Bay Area guy. My shop is in San Mateo and I live in San Rafael. And my rivet gun was at my brothers in Livermore! My only other vehicle at my shop is an old (read VERY old) F350 glass truck so I wasn't too thrilled about cruising that thing around. :LOL:

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I'm with you on the rivets. The bigger deal honestly was the mixed up bracket. And you will appreciate this being a Bay Area guy. My shop is in San Mateo and I live in San Rafael. And my rivet gun was at my brothers in Livermore! My only other vehicle at my shop is an old (read VERY old) F350 glass truck so I wasn't too thrilled about cruising that thing around. :LOL:
Please tell me you drove at 2AM so it didn't take For. Ev. Er. lol!
Wish I looked for a Bay Area cohort to share the pain with, before I did it. :D

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
Please tell me you drove at 2AM so it didn't take For. Ev. Er. lol!
Wish I looked for a Bay Area cohort to share the pain with, before I did it. :D
The traffic around here is tough but I live and work where I do by choice so I really can't say too much.

I'll let you know when I am doing my front and rear sway bars in case you're doing the same.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
The traffic around here is tough but I live and work where I do by choice so I really can't say too much.

I'll let you know when I am doing my front and rear sway bars in case you're doing the same.
I sent mine to another state for use, so I won't be doing any more mods here, though I may be willing to come you a hand. :cool: