Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whipple intercooler Dyno results?

Reactions
I've been doing my research and I have about decided to go ahead and order the Whipple intercooler. I've been reading through all the threads and have yet to see anyone post any Dyno proven results from just the Whipple upgrade. Does anyone have any input on this? My goal is to buy and install the Whipple right away, and then get the spd downpipes and a zfg tune and do those two mods together . Just wondering if anyone had any real world numbers yet

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You won't see any significant horsepower gains from an upgraded intercooler. You will get an advantage in cooler intake temps providing some insurance against pullbacks in timing when the stock intercooler becomes heat soaked.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
True. The best indicator of better intercooler will be 1/4 mile time/mph. The stock IC heats so quickly the ecu will pull power well before the speed trap. If the new IC “works”, then you should see less ECU power reduction, higher trap speed and likely a few tenths quicker.

OP
A
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
So basically it's going to make its peak power and be able to hold it through the powerband/ pull instead of pulling timing and falling off as soon as it heatsoaks.

RobHalo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
So basically it's going to make its peak power and be able to hold it through the powerband/ pull instead of pulling timing and falling off as soon as it heatsoaks.
Yup, even though peak hp would be the same on a dyno sheet with or without the IC, the IC will let you maintain all that power on those top end pulls. If you're never going go much past the speed limit, then it's a poor value proposition.

Reactions
I know I'm a couple months late, but just ordered a Whipple IC. We have a new '22, and after getting on it a couple times you can feel it begin to fall flat and not have the same acceleration feel. We're in the greater Phoenix area, and I can only imagine how terrible the stock IC will perform when it's 118 degrees out during the summer.

Reactions
I know I'm a couple months late, but just ordered a Whipple IC. We have a new '22, and after getting on it a couple times you can feel it begin to fall flat and not have the same acceleration feel. We're in the greater Phoenix area, and I can only imagine how terrible the stock IC will perform when it's 118 degrees out during the summer.
I can tell you from experience... Not well at all in the Phoenix summer heat! hahaha. The IC is a worth while upgrade.

El_steveo

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Or even sitting in traffic on the interstate in the summer, then getting off the interstate and wanting to have some fun runs before you get back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
@boosted_st @El_steveo yes, exactly! And I'll have the ground work laid for a tune afterwards.... Win win! Me to my wife: "an intercooler will help with mechanical longevity and consistent performance to merge when needed in the summertime." ;):cool: