Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whipple IC coolant volume

Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Anyone know an estimated volume of the coolant once I've installed the Whipple IC?
Any tips, pre fill?
What coolant are you running?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Hmmm... what?

I think you'll find most members use air as the "coolant" and unlimited volume is usually best.

Seriously though, are you talking about draining the antifreeze when installing the Whipple?

Last edited:
Reactions
I believe, if I'm not mistaken that, 3 quarts of blinker fluid should suffice to get it back within spec.

Don't quote me on it though.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Don't forget to replace the muffler bearings. Very important in a clean installation. Seriously, we're kidding you- best you get a professional to do your installation.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Im trying real hard to figure out if this post is sarcasm. If so, its pretty hilarious and they certainly got a few people. If not, could you imagine if they tried to fill the IC with antifreeze... the engine damage that would create is mind-boggling...

F=MA

Reactions
And the headlight return springs !!

Reactions
Anyone know an estimated volume of the coolant once I've installed the Whipple IC?
Any tips, pre fill?
What coolant are you running?
not sure if this is a sarcastic post or not, but I'll treat it as OP is serious.

The intercooler (or IC) is an air-to-air heat exchanger (or HX). Your radiator is a water-to-air HX in which ambient air flows over the core and pulls heat from the water/glycol mix. The hot, pressurized air (or "charge air") that comes out of your turbocharger discharge is routed through the IC to cool it down before it hits your cylinders. Not all ICs are equal however. A bad design can have significant pressure drop and/or poor heat transfer capability. Hotter charge air = more prone to pre-ignition or "knock", which is why we want an efficient IC. Your IC does not require fluids or routine maintenance. I try to make sure there are no large bugs splattered on it.

Explorer ST Posts