Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whining Noise at Shutdown

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Noticed last week that when we turn the ST off there is a loud spooling down whine coming from the engine bay. I am assuming it is one of the, or both, turbos but this is new. We have 13k miles on the car now. Anyone experience this?

Reactions
I doubt it would be the turbochargers. At idle they aren't rotating very fast. They are relatively small as well, not much rotational mass on the impeller/exhaust wheels. Maybe something is stuck in one?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
E Brake?

OP
Cajun Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
I doubt it would be the turbochargers. At idle they aren't rotating very fast. They are relatively small as well, not much rotational mass on the impeller/exhaust wheels. Maybe something is stuck in one?
Maybe something stuck in a turbo, hope not. I installed the aFe intake a moth or so back but this is the first time I am hearing this..

OP
Cajun Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Hmmm, maybe. Had the recall work done but it really sounds like something spooling down and doesn't do it all the time.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Noticed last week that when we turn the ST off there is a loud spooling down whine coming from the engine bay. I am assuming it is one of the, or both, turbos but this is new. We have 13k miles on the car now. Anyone experience this?
Perhaps it's the engine cooling fan spinning down??

OP
Cajun Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Perhaps it's the engine cooling fan spinning down??
Perhaps. I'll have to pop the hood next time before shutting it down. Maybe that will give me a better idea where the noise is coming from.

OP
Cajun Heat

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
It was the e-brake engaging when you put it park. The weird thing is that is louder sometimes and not others.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Yup, the E-brake is what it is. I hear it on my 2022 and like yours sometimes its louder than others, but its always the same sound no matter the volume. I engaged and disengaged the parking brake with the switch to make sure thats what it was on mine.