Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Which is better? Whipple Stage 1 or Steeda Intercooler?

dakhart

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I’m looking to upgrade the intercooler and get a tune. The two I saw were the Whipple stage 1 kit and the Steeda kit, both come with an intercooler and a tune. I would normally go Whipple because of how good a brand it is but the steeda kit brings the same performance while being considerably cheaper. Does anyone have any experience in either? Is the Whipple worth the $1k extra? Any help is appreciated!

Reactions
Search…

Lots of posts on these kits.

OP
D

dakhart

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I did, I couldn’t really find any real world reviews or problems with either, kinda just installation and 0-60 times. Was hoping people had some thoughts after running them for a little while

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
just about all the mainstream intercoolers are going to perform the same no matter who made it. the steeda one looks like a rebranded whipple

Reactions
I wouldn't buy a tune from either of them. Get the intercooler from somewhere like lethal or directly from your tuner of choice. Might be a mother's day sale coming up soon at some places. Love my whipple intercooler but it was the only option when I bought it.

OP
D

dakhart

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Is there a tune you recommend? I know with the Steeda you can either get a SCT X4 or a SCT BDX.

Reactions
Is there a tune you recommend? I know with the Steeda you can either get a SCT X4 or a SCT BDX.
I have a gearhead auto octane tune i run in the winter. It is a really good tune and pretty inexpensive when compared to the rest. They tune for sct devices.

OP
D

dakhart

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
I have a gearhead auto octane tune i run in the winter. It is a really good tune and pretty inexpensive when compared to the rest. They tune for sct devices.
Ok, if those SCT ones are good then I might stick with those.

Reactions
Ok, if those SCT ones are good then I might stick with those.
Zfg is the quickest, but he only tunes with hp tuners. If you aren't going e50 tho, the difference isn't quite as dramatic. I've dragy'd 12.1 with my gearhead auto octane tune in perfect air with intercooler and intake. It shifts amazingly smooth too.

Raym80

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
The Whipple just went on sale on Lethal, i just picked one up.

Vaeevictiss

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST, 2021 Mustang GT
Did anything change from 22 to 23? The Whipple and steeda ones say they are for 2020-2022. Granted, a lot of parts for Mustangs will say 18-20 when depending what they are will fit to 23.

Reactions
Did anything change from 22 to 23? The Whipple and steeda ones say they are for 2020-2022. Granted, a lot of parts for Mustangs will say 18-20 when depending what they are will fit to 23.
They probably just haven't updated their websites, intercoolers will fit fine in the 23's.