Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Which Ford ESP?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
So I cancelled my Portfolio ESP today after finding out it is a "Stated" warranty. It would not cover the AWD module and I wonder what other modules it will not cover so I ditched it. Now I want to go with a Ford ESP but I'm not sure which one to go with. I'm just looking for some opinion from people who have knowledge of the different plans. I looked online but for some reason it keeps telling me I'm not the owner of the vehicle and won't give me any pricing. My ST is a 2020 and it has 35K. I was looking at the one that covers everything except normal wear and tear parts. What do y'all think would be a good plan and should I even get one? Thank you!

Reactions
O
So I cancelled my Portfolio ESP today after finding out it is a "Stated" warranty. It would not cover the AWD module and I wonder what other modules it will not cover so I ditched it. Now I want to go with a Ford ESP but I'm not sure which one to go with. I'm just looking for some opinion from people who have knowledge of the different plans. I looked online but for some reason it keeps telling me I'm not the owner of the vehicle and won't give me any pricing. My ST is a 2020 and it has 35K. I was looking at the one that covers everything except normal wear and tear parts. What do y'all think would be a good plan and should I even get one? Thank you!
Was a fan of the Ford ESP, until I needed it. In my case they looked for every reason to NOT fix anything. Front CV boot split. Would not cover because I had aftermarket (Steeda) springs installed. Flex pipes sprung a leak. Dealership had replaces cats under a recall....Twice, said the aftermarket Magnaflow muffler was the reason the flex pipes leaked. I suspect I could have fought it, but they were low cost repairs, and I have more stuff going on in my life and don't want to spend it at a dealership arguing about it. You have many of the same mods as I do on my 2020. Granted my dealership is a dirtbag, but the ESP is an insurance policy not really a service plan. It is not in the third party insurance plan's best interest to fix squat. I guess some stuff is still covered but don't expect an easy go of it.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Yea, I get that. It’s just that these things are computers on wheels and they can get expensive to fix. It’s usually the dealer that gives the hard time about mods. Ford doesn’t know what moods you have unless the dealer tells them. I just had mine in and they gave me zero feedback about my mods. They could have easily said the issue was caused when the brakes were put on or when the exhaust was installed. I don’t know if, once you’ve been denied, your vehicle gets flagged in case you go to another dealer though. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbalek

Reactions
O

Was a fan of the Ford ESP, until I needed it. In my case they looked for every reason to NOT fix anything. Front CV boot split. Would not cover because I had aftermarket (Steeda) springs installed. Flex pipes sprung a leak. Dealership had replaces cats under a recall....Twice, said the aftermarket Magnaflow muffler was the reason the flex pipes leaked. I suspect I could have fought it, but they were low cost repairs, and I have more stuff going on in my life and don't want to spend it at a dealership arguing about it. You have many of the same mods as I do on my 2020. Granted my dealership is a dirtbag, but the ESP is an insurance policy not really a service plan. It is not in the third party insurance plan's best interest to fix squat. I guess some stuff is still covered but don't expect an easy go of it.
This is why I worry about having mods on my cars because I always maintain warranty coverage.

Last edited:
OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
It's the risk we take to play.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
I ended up going with the Premium Care package. Covers just about everything. I also talked to the service manager about mods voiding it and he said they wouldn’t break my balls over things that clearly help the vehicle run better like the intercooler, catch can, exhaust, etc. He said it’s more about things that increase the horsepower like bigger turbos, meth injection and definitely tuning. He was pretty cool. However when I told him about what I’m doing with the audio upgrade he just laughed and said “Now that’s going to cause you to have warranty issues if the ACM goes out or the screen dies”. But he said I shouldn’t be too concerned since I’m tearing 90% of it out and spending almost $10k on it anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I don't know that guy you talked to is a salesman and he is laughing telling you that changing your stereo is going to cause any issues with you extended warentee would not make me feel great !! That would have made me save my money and leave there!