Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Which driving mode do you spend your time in?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I am just curious what percentage of driving time you all spend in each mode?

I spend 95% of time in Sport mode. The only time I am in normal mode if I am moving my car or something like that. Never in Eco, Tow or any other.

I ask because I was told by someone at the dealership that you shouldn't drive these in sport mode all of the time. And that makes no sense to me.

lwlf13

Reactions
I mix it up but I assume things will wear faster in sport mode.

I would drive in sport mode 24/7 but I don’t like how it holds gears. I don’t think excessive engine breaking on a car this heavy is a great idea. I think it should only hold the gear if I have taken my foot off the gas and started to apply the brake. It holds the gear entirely too long... sometimes. Other days I’m in sport mode and it acts like I expect. Sometimes it holds onto the gear long enough that I manually upshift and switch back to drive mode.

I’m prob 40% sport mode and 60% normal.

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
About 80% in sport mode. I like the display graphics much better and now I'm able to see what gear I'm in all the time (ZFG tune).

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
No tune yet , waiting on Ford or ZFG.
I live way out in the country no traffic to speak. Mine defaults to Eco mode , so 95% of my diving is Eco mode.
I will change to Normal mode in our little town...and to Sport mode in the big town 35 miles away, just in case some smart alec , or dumb HS kid in his loud pickup wants to cry.

Now if somebody wants to drive it , or I want a friend to drive it, I make sure it's in Sport mode.:cool::p

Ima getting 24 mpg around home , 27 mpg open road interstate.

I'm happy.

Jim

Last edited:

Blackssr

Reactions
I am just curious what percentage of driving time you all spend in each mode?

I spend 95% of time in Sport mode. The only time I am in normal mode if I am moving my car or something like that. Never in Eco, Tow or any other.

I ask because I was told by someone at the dealership that you shouldn't drive these in sport mode all of the time. And that makes no sense to me.
sport mode all the time even though it's a hassle every time I get in a car to turn that damn dial. For me it feels most like a sports SUV and I love the way the dash looks. I cannot believe Ford does not give you an option to configure startup mode. Whoever that person wasn't the dealership was not knowledgeable enough to make such an idiotic comment.

Blackssr

Reactions
I live way out in the country no traffic to speak. Mine defaults to Eco mode , so 95% of my diving is Eco mode.
I will change to Normal mode in our little town...and to Sport mode in the big town 35 miles away, just in case some smart alec , or dumb HS kid in his loud pickup wants to cry.

Now if somebody wants to drive it , or I want a friend to drive it, I make sure it's in Sport mode.:cool::p

I'm happy.

Jim
Default automatically or you automatically get in and switch it to echo? Big difference

Blackssr

Reactions

I'm happy.

Jim
How do you get 24 miles to the gallon? Our roads in South Florida are beautiful and I can't get I above 16.9.on 93. You must be the guy that I'm on the horn blowing to get out of the way when I'm driving down the single lane highway. Lol.
I can't believe the difference between echo and sport is 8 miles to the gallon. That's a stretch.

Last edited:

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I haven't touched the mpg source in weeks.
Leave it alone.
Everywhere I drive is 55-60 mph. Usually 6-8 mies at a time.
It rarely changes from 24 ...sometimes it will say 24.2 sometimes 23.8..
I don't put my foot in it taking off ..just drive normal .
Never have anybody passing me or blowing a horn.
In 55 zone I drive 60.
Lots of 45 mph speed limits where I live also..I drive 50 in those. When going to big town , 35 miles away, I drive 74 mph , round trip , I've checked it twice back a few weeks, 27;mpg both times.

I'm super happy with the mpg .
Maybe you are heavy footed.

If your blowing your horn at me and pass your speeding and losing mpg.

Oh ,btw, my wife will vouch for it , as she watches it like a hawk , because I told her that it would get almost as good mpg as the Lincoln we traded.

Jim

Blackssr

Reactions
I haven't touched the mpg source in weeks.
Leave it alone.
Everywhere I drive is 55-60 mph. Usually 6-8 mies at a time.
It rarely changes from 24 ...sometimes it will say 24.2 sometimes 23.8..
I don't put my foot in it taking off ..just drive normal .
Never have anybody passing me or blowing a horn.
In 55 zone I drive 60.
Lots of 45 mph speed limits where I live also..I drive 50 in those. When going to big town , 35 miles away, I drive 74 mph , round trip , I've checked it twice back a few weeks, 27;mpg both times.

I'm super happy with the mpg .
Maybe you are heavy footed.

If your blowing your horn at me and pass your speeding and losing mpg.

Oh ,btw, my wife will vouch for it , as she watches it like a hawk , because I told her that it would get almost as good mpg as the Lincoln we traded.

Jim
I have the air conditioner on all the time perhaps that's the reason. And I drive it like it was meant to be driven so that could also contribute to the 8 Miles difference per gallon. My trackhawk averages 11 around town.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I have the air conditioner on all the time perhaps that's the reason. And I drive it like it was meant to be driven so that could also contribute to the 8 Miles difference per gallon. My trackhawk averages 11 around town.
Yep, driving it hard will kill mpg.
Well I've not had mine in hot enough weather to run AC yet.

I admit , I rarely get into it.
I just puts around, but I will if I need to .

My Corvette gets 20 local and 24 on trips.

Reset you mpg and baby it for a week and see what it gives you, unless your in city stop and go, it should do lots better.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions
I'm right there with him, Normal 99.5% of the time, unless I'm on a non rush hour highway, racing, or at the track, or combination thereof (in mexico, of course...) lol.

Reactions
Out and about by myself, Sport/Manual shift almost 100% of the time...driving with my wife, Normal mode 100% of the time...she prefers a smoother ride. :) ...and the dash has been reporting about 19 to 20 mpg, in the 700 miles we have on it so far.

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
The ST is definitely smoother in Normal mode. I will give it that. But love the shifting in Sport mode. Can stay away from it.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Blackssr

Reactions
The ST is definitely smoother in Normal mode. I will give it that. But love the shifting in Sport mode. Can stay away from it.

Thanks for all of the feedback!
I agree but if I wanted smooth I would have bought a platinum or whatever the hell they call it. I like hard shifting, tight steering, and solid acceleration. The Price Is Right on the ST. I trade every 3 years and put a lot of mileage on my commuter between homes. it is the best value out there if you want a Performance SUV.

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #17
I like hard shifting, tight steering, and solid acceleration. The Price Is Right on the ST. I trade every 3 years and put a lot of mileage on my commuter between homes. it is the best value out there if you want a Performance SUV.
I'm with you. I put a lot of miles on mine too. 70 miles roundtrip on my daily commute alone not including the running around during the day. Couldn't be happier with the ST.

Reactions
Jim, I’m assuming you’re wondering why I run Normal all the time - it’s for a couplefew reasons.

1. I am not big on the length of time it holds gears
2. I live in, and commute cross, the Greater Toronto Area in part via the busiest highway in North America, fondly known around here as “the fucking 401”, and Sport Mode is utterly wasted upon it.

I get my occasional Sport Mode jollies on the odd onramp. I definitely have a need for speed, but I like my speed smooth as well. Sport can be fun, but this car is no slouch in Normal either, and I have no problem with not snapping my neck on every green light. After all - I only get so much chiropractic coverage on my health insurance LOL

-Adam

Last edited:

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Look , let's face it , some of us bought this vehicle for different purposes.

Some bought it strictly for performance , Racey, hot rod that's fun to drive...that's fine...that's great. Have fun.

But

Some of us bought it for a daily grocery getter, going out to dinner with friends , haul the grandkids to sports events in a roomy 6 seater with technical comforts.
The high performance is just added icing on the cake .

The latter is the main reason I bought mine.

That being said I do enjoy the performance once in a while.

95% ECO mode.
4% Normal mode.
1% Sport mode.

Jim