Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

When did Ford remove the temperature display from HVAC controls?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
My 2022 only has the display in the touchscreen. 2020-ford-explorer-1 temp display.jpg

Reactions
I see 70 for the driver and 70 for the passenger, otherwise not sure what you mean.

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Thread Starter #3
Where you see 70 mine is blank. Those numbers only show at the top of the touchscreen. Not on the HVAC controls. The picture is from a website showing a 2020 model. Current Ford advertising shows the display gone while it is there on previous years advertising.

Last edited:

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
That’s not unique to the Explorer. My early build 2018 Raptor has the HVAC temp displays on the touchscreen only, along with the steering wheel heat switch. It doesn't have a separate button on the center stack like my 2021 Explorer ST. My 2017 Focus RS only displays temps onscreen. You just happened to noticed a difference that occurs in many models.

Ford has always has done this type of MY changes, even within the same MY. To get correct parts any MY Ford, you really need the VIN and/or build date from the door jamb.

The 2017 and early 2018 Raptor have the shifter position info illuminated on the center console and displayed on the IP. Later build dates in 2018 lost the illumination, but the position info remains.

Reactions
It was removed for the 2022 model year (our 2021 has the displays). I believe I read somewhere this was due to the chip/parts shortage. No idea if they will bother to add it back at some point...my guess is no. I think the 2 displays are nice to have and look better. :cry:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It was removed for the 2022 model year (our 2021 has the displays). I believe I read somewhere this was due to the chip/parts shortage. No idea if they will bother to add it back at some point...my guess is no. I think the 2 displays are nice to have and look better. :cry:
It’s a reasonable change. It adds no value imo. The temp display on the top of the screen allows you to see the current temperature setting inside the car without moving your eyes off the road. Seems safer to me.

hbalek

Reactions
My 2020 is the opposite after about 6 months a Sync 3 update removed temperature from top of the screen. Now only on HVAC LED display.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My 2020 is the opposite after about 6 months a Sync 3 update removed temperature from top of the screen. Now only on HVAC LED display.
Are you sure you are running the latest? I have read that the most recent update actually added the temperature to the top. Maybe I misunderstood though.

hbalek

Reactions
Are you sure you are running the latest? I have read that the most recent update actually added the temperature to the top. Maybe I misunderstood though.
Yes I'm on the latest 21194 version and no temperature at the top.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a 2020 and I have both driver and passenger temp at the top of the screen. I have the 10" portrait screen. Sync is 21265 I believe, but pretty sure it was there for 21194

It’s a reasonable change. It adds no value imo. The temp display on the top of the screen allows you to see the current temperature setting inside the car without moving your eyes off the road. Seems safer to me.
LOL. You like to rationalize all the costcutting by saying it adds no value or is better because it's more reliable. The truth is the LED temp display is a huge loss. Just another nicety like the illuminated cupholders that got tossed in yet another year of costcutting.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yes I'm on the latest 21194 version and no temperature at the top.
I have a 2020 and I have both driver and passenger temp at the top of the screen. I have the 10" portrait screen. Sync is 21265 I believe, but pretty sure it was there for 21194

LOL. You like to rationalize all the costcutting by saying it adds no value or is better because it's more reliable. The truth is the LED temp display is a huge loss. Just another nicety like the illuminated cupholders that got tossed in yet another year of costcutting.
Huge loss? That’s comical. Enlighten me, what did you gain by having it there as opposed to having it on the screen? Ford is moving everything to the screen. This feature is not a nicety haha the cupholders, yeah and screw ford for doing that. The other lighting removed from the car is more of a loss and not replicable. You can still view your temperature setting in this case. Huge loss lol

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Huge loss? That’s comical. Enlighten me, what did you gain by having it there as opposed to having it on the screen? Ford is moving everything to the screen. This feature is not a nicety haha the cupholders, yeah and screw ford for doing that.
To me it is, when I look down to adjust the controls, I instantly see the temp I'm adjusting. Rationalize the loss all you want. I guess you won't miss what you never had. So much for refined? My 2020 is a Bentley compared to your 2022.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
To me it is, when I look down to adjust the controls, I instantly see the temp I'm adjusting. Rationalize the loss all you want. I guess you won't miss what you never had. So much for refined? My 2020 is a Bentley compared to your 2022.
Lol you’re pathetic dude. Get help. You’re taking cars way too personally. I can’t believe your last sentence. But you’re right, mine runs lol jkjk. I can agree that all STs are awesome and that no car is perfect. You on the other hand, can go on with your insecurity issues. Good luck.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Lol you’re pathetic dude. Get help. You’re taking cars way too personally. I can’t believe your last sentence. But you’re right, mine runs lol jkjk. I can agree that all STs are awesome and that no car is perfect. You on the other hand, can go on with your insecurity issues. Good luck.
Uh, I thought we were having a discussion. You won't find me engaging in name-calling... EVER. Peace out.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Uh, I thought we were having a discussion. You won't find me engaging in name-calling... EVER. Peace out.
I just can’t lol enjoy your Bentley.

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Thread Starter #16
The display at the top of the touchscreen is easiest to use since it is more in line of sight while driving. However, the lower display would let me turn off or calm display the touchscreen much of the time. The main dash display already includes navigation directions, song titles, compass, outside temperature, phone numbers, and more. Yes there is a lot of other stuff on the touchscreen, just not things that I need all the time. Not saying I would for sure turn off the touchscreen, just saying it would provide a more complete option. I like having mechanical controls and I am guessing this may be the last year for those on the Explorer. Next year may bring Sync 4 or 4A. Those, especially 4A, tend to place all controls on the touchscreen.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The display at the top of the touchscreen is easiest to use since it is more in line of sight while driving. However, the lower display would let me turn off or calm display the touchscreen much of the time. The main dash display already includes navigation directions, song titles, compass, outside temperature, phone numbers, and more. Yes there is a lot of other stuff on the touchscreen, just not things that I need all the time. Not saying I would for sure turn off the touchscreen, just saying it would provide a more complete option. I like having mechanical controls and I am guessing this may be the last year for those on the Explorer. Next year may bring Sync 4 or 4A. Those, especially 4A, tend to place all controls on the touchscreen.
yeah it’s definitely coming down the pipe. I felt bad buying a 5 year newer explorer from my old one and it still having sync 3. The only thing that helped ease my decision was that I still do prefer physical buttons especially for hvac controls, heated seats, etc. I can keep eyes on the road and still change settings.

hbalek

Reactions
Despite not having the temperature displayed at the top of the screen, when you change the temperature the large numbers for temperature appear briefly in the middle of the screen for a few seconds and disappear. Just like when you adjust audio volume. So I really don't miss the temperatures at the top of the screen.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Im glad you guys posted this. I thought mine was broken. :LOL: I had a 2020 with the display and my 2022 nothing! I dont care, I was just pissed thinking they screwed mine up! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: My goofy ass was driving around the last two months wondering if it would come back on.

JbossST

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Im glad you guys posted this. I thought mine was broken. :LOL: I had a 2020 with the display and my 2022 nothing! I dont care, I was just pissed thinking they screwed mine up! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: My goofy ass was driving around the last two months wondering if it would come back on.
Hilarious I was thinking the same thing in my 2023 ST I just got. Luckily I found this post only after 3 weeks of driving my my new ST around.