Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What's the best way to trade-in for a new ST?

emco

Reactions
To buy a car, I'd normally just spec it out and negotiate the deal via email/telephone - get the lowest out-the-door price for the car quoted to me, then show up with a check to inspect and drive away.

But this time, I have a trade-in to offset against the price. How does this work if they have to inspect the trade-in?

Should I go to the dealer in person without pre-negotiating? Show up to the dealer that has the ST I want and play coy? Saying I'm there to trade it in, and then let them sell me the ST, negotiating on the spot?
Or, should I pre-negotiate as I would otherwise, and then let them talk me into selling my current car?
Some other approach?

Difficult!

Reactions
Negotiate the price of the car.....then once you're set with that let them know you have a trade. If they know upfront you have a trade it's easier for them to play games with the numbers.