Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What was your reaction the first time behind the wheel of a Explorer ST?

Sch0227

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
"That'll do donkey.. that'll do."

Reactions
I traded my 2018 Trackhawk in for mine because I have a soon to be new driver and there is zero chances they are getting behind the wheel of that. This was the next best choice for me to get since I know it can be as fast as an SRT Jeep/Durango but is of better overall build quality. I love the interior, the space is great with 3 kids, the tech is way better than anything the Jeep had and everything just seem nicer.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I wasn’t overly impressed but I love the styling and could see the potential. Then again I buy every new vehicle with a build plan already in place.

KegsBdry

Reactions
The look alone made me test drive it. Slamming on the gas was when I knew I was going to buy it. It sounded great, but I soon remembered the 'excellent engine noise' was coming from the speaker system. But it responded well. So I couldn't complain.

The features in the Explorer (massage seats, front/back row sunroof) couldn't be found in other vehicles of the same class. There was no comparison.

Plus, this is the first 3rd row seating vehicle I've ever owned. Have I ever used it? No. Will I? Who knows. But it is an option now.

Plus, it's a SUV with HP & AWD. Nothing can beat it at this price.

Last edited:

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I was looking at a used 2017 Explorer Platinum. then I drove the ST on a whim. It felt like a sports car vs the platinum and I knew I had to have it because it instantly put a smile on my face.

Reactions
Same reaction here. Makes me feel that ST means Screw Tesla. This is a fun SUV.

wcoyne

Reactions
I realized it was a great all around vehicle. It handles better than average in stock form and will get down the road in a hurry. The interior isn't bad and the radio and back up camera works unlike the Grand Cherokee that was on week two at the Heep stealership where I bought this which had been traded for a Rubicon. I hear the lady who traded it in wants it back

I have had nicer and faster vehicles in the past but the Explorer ST will hopefully be a great vehicle for the time I own it. I will probably do a few thing to it like I always do but I won't do too much since I trade too often

DaveFred

Reactions
Honestly, disappointment.

My current ride is a 2009 5.3l V8 ZQ8 Canyon (yes, they made V8's, just not many of them) and I have test driven a couple of ST's and they didn't really impress me. My truck chirps with a very mild sideways slide while shifting between gears (auto, not stick) when you get hard onto it. It also down shifts like mad with the revs jumping way up and it takes off.

The Hemi Grand Cherokee (not Hawk) was an even bigger disappointment.

Drove a Mercedes-Benz GLC 43 AMG and it had the take off power of my little truck, but not the interior cargo space of the ST.

But, the ST best fits the bill for what I am looking for, it's the closest thing I can find to a small truck with an interior covered bed, if that makes sense. I am just waiting for the 2021's to hit so I can buy one. It just won't be as much fun to stomp on the pedal as what I am driving now.

Reactions
I was happy for sure, not with the acceleration necessarily, coming from fully built race bikes, but the truck is nice nonetheless.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
An SUV that is quick and handles like a sports car!?! What's not to love! :)

Reactions
First drive I was not impressed. Didn't feel very well rounded. Not that comfortable. That was about a year ago. I drove one today and I'm sold. Just need to get out of this Expedition lease - it's up in June. :cautious:

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I think I've said this before, but very few muscle cars from my era, 60's - 70's, could put up a 12 second quarter mile. Not the Boss 302 I owned, not the 427 64 Galaxie I owned, not 65' GOAT that I owned, not the 450 HP 73 Chevelle I owned, or any of the cars of the day with very few exceptions. I bought this truck, got in and drove it hard. I was shocked by the horsepower, but more shocked by the transmission. Since then I have put a basic SCT tune on the beast and I am shocked all over again. Muscle cars shift hard when paired up with a manual transmission, and that's a part of the experience. Muscle car pipes put out a big growl, and that's a part of the experience, but muscle cars aren't always fast.

Reactions
Don't do it, don't freakin do it, first year of a complete makeover, don't you.....crap I did it. Thanks to the great members of this forum I've pretty much eradicated all the gremlins. 50k miles and the grin is still there, well 50k and ZFG.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I bought mine sight unseen. No test drive, no nothing. I bought one the dealer had on order. That was back when the lots were completely empty.