Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What kind of washer fluid are you using

arg4me

Reactions
I've been using RainX washer fluid but have noticed the wiper blades leave a good size streak right in the middle on the return stroke. Of course the driver side is the biggest issue. I assumed the wipers were the problem but now am wondering if the issue is common to the washer fluid itself. I have seen a few post here and elsewhere that the RainX fluid is not good for rain sensing wipers. It leaves a hydrophobic film on the windshield to help repel water. Does this interfere with the rain sensing ability? I see Prestone is a popular choice but it also leaves a film. I'm typically not a fan of the OEM blades that the manufacturers install on their vehicles. I've never had much luck with any of them. I lean toward Bosch for my replacement blades. Not sure about the fluid though. Any thoughts?

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I usually buy my washer fluid at Menards, just watching to stay in the right temperature range.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I've used the RainX washer fluid for years and no issues. I almost immediately replaced the OEM blades b/c they were skipping and noisy PoS.. Unbroken suggested the Bosch and they work very well for me.

Reactions
I've used the RainX washer fluid for years and no issues. I almost immediately replaced the OEM blades b/c they were skipping and noisy PoS.. Unbroken suggested the Bosch and they work very well for me.
I replaced my wiper blades the first week of ownership for the same reasons!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
I use Splash -35 with ice melt fluid during the winter and use their washer fluid with bug remover for spring and summer

Attachments

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I just get the Walmart fluid and usually have no issues. I put new Michelin blades on, but OEM were actually better. I was a diehard Trico fan, being a parts pro at PepBoys in my former life, but feel that Bosch and some others have caught up in quality. Also, try cleaning your blades with rubbing alcohol before replacing and see if that helps.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Bosch blades plus… call me crazy but I have a bunch of BMW concentrated fluid left over. I usually mix half a bottle of concentrate with generic blue (-25°F) fluid. It scrapes off bugs and cuts through ice better than anything I’ve ever used. RainX is a shit hydrophobic repellant and you should stop using it. Instead clean your windshield with rubbing alcohol, scrape off any gunk, and ceramic coat it instead if you want beading.

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I use whatever washer fluid my employer provides, free 99!!!

Reactions
Yea my wipers sucked day one. I've done plenty of modifications on my car but have been to lazy to replace those garbage ass wipers.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Anybody know the capacity of the reservoir?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
for whatever reason, the capacity is unspecified. I put in a gallon of fluid last week and it wasn't full.

1641818699615.png

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
for whatever reason, the capacity is unspecified. I have put in a gallon of fluid last week and it wasn't full.

View attachment 9340
Yeah, I searched and couldn’t find any specific capacity. I put in nearly a gallon yesterday and it made me wonder how much the thing could hold.

hbalek

Reactions
When my low fluid level warning comes on, I can usually pour an entire gallon of washer fluid to fill it up all the way.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Anybody figured out the true capacity?

hbalek

Reactions
Anybody figured out the true capacity?
When I have the low fluid message I can usually fill with an entire gallon of washer fluid to the top of the nozzle.

Reactions
Whatever the first one I see on the shelf is. Preferably blue.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I use the blue kind.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I also just use the cheap blue stuff, and whatever wiper blades that come on the vehicle. I used to use the bosch icons until I discovered that if you scrub off the road grime residue off the windshield and wiper blades you can run any cheap blade you want

RandomPilot

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
McKees rineless wash diluted 1:128 with distilled water just because my windshield is ceramic coated, prolongs the coating and mitigates water spots using the distilled water

Explorer ST Posts