Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What Have You Done To Your Explorer ST Today

Reactions
Vehicle
2019 Ford Flex
Catch cans are a must on DI engines
Are Catch Cans really necessary any longer? I have owner many 3.5 eco Fords, never any issues without them. Jjust curious since Ford mentioned "no need for them" Seen some good and bad articles.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The 3.5s also have port injection which helps to keep the valves clean. A catch-can is not a bad idea, it helps trap oil that would otherwise make it into the intake. However, the DI engines such as the ST with variable valve timing can time injection events when running a "Miller Cycle" like operation. That means that some of the fuel is injected while the intake valves are open which can help to "wash" the backside of the valves- helping, but not curing the problem.

Reactions
The 3.5s also have port injection which helps to keep the valves clean. A catch-can is not a bad idea, it helps trap oil that would otherwise make it into the intake. However, the DI engines such as the ST with variable valve timing can time injection events when running a "Miller Cycle" like operation. That means that some of the fuel is injected while the intake valves are open which can help to "wash" the backside of the valves- helping, but not curing the problem.
Just to note, dual fuel on the 3.5’s started in 2017, previous was just DI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just to note, dual fuel on the 3.5’s started in 2017, previous was just DI.

You're right, should have said "later" 3.5s.

Reactions
You're right, should have said "later" 3.5s.
Only calling it out in case someone wants to do some checking or be snarky.

FYI, here are what my Gen 1 3.5 (DI only) valves looked like after 50k miles without a catch can. This is the worst cylinder (#1). I put a dual catch can on when I put in the built motor and will do the same check and the same interval and compare. Probably take until next year with the rate I put miles on now, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
LED back-up lamps.

Cajun Heat

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Installed Lethal Performance springs and AWR diff brace. Before and after pics on springs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Installed Lethal Performance springs and AWR diff brace. Before and after pics on springs.
Kind of interesting that after 2 years, my Steeda's are lower than that. Measure about 31 3/4" in front and 32 3/4" in back (to the wheel arch)

Cajun Heat

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Kind of interesting that after 2 years, my Steeda's are lower than that. Measure about 31 3/4" in front and 32 3/4" in back (to the wheel arch)
I did expect it to be lower, especially in the rear, but really pleased with the look and the ride quality is better than the stock springs. Maybe they will settle some more as time passes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Floor to arch isn't good to compare car to car. Gotta measure from the center of the wheel to the arch to compare car to car; eliminates wheel and tire variables.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Floor to arch isn't good to compare car to car. Gotta measure from the center of the wheel to the arch to compare car to car; eliminates wheel and tire variables.
Exactly

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Well damnit I just keep spending money on goodies for the ST. Seems like every week I'm finding something else I just can't live without. I need to stop buying and start installing :p

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Well damnit I just keep spending money on goodies for the ST. Seems like every week I'm finding something else I just can't live without. I need to stop buying and start installing :p
I have more money in mods than I paid for the car new…I feel your pain.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Today I just got done spending way too much money with @Lethalperformance for all kinds of fun stuff for the ST. Now I just have to sit back and wait for everything to arrive so I can fill my time off over the holidays installing it all.

-Paul

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Installed UPR catch can, and cleaned her. Tomorrow is new silicone wipers, and maybe black lugs.