Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What did you learn that's not in the Users Manual?

KegsBdry

Reactions
Just bought a 2020 Ford Explorer ST, all blacked out. Love it! And I'm learning all kinds of little features that I didn't' know existed. Read the users manual only once but learned a lot!

My favorite old forum thread was about all the little things you wouldn't find in the user's manual. Did anyone find any good ones?

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I tried looking things up in the manual after I discovered them. I finally gave up. Either's not in there, or it's different in real life. Two months now and I'm still finding new things.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Good any good examples?

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Here is an example: FordPass app (for a smartphone) will let you remote start, unlock, lock, etc your vehicle from anywhere. Even GPS your cars location!!!

Attachments

hbalek

Reactions
Here is an example: FordPass app (for a smartphone) will let you remote start, unlock, lock, etc your vehicle from anywhere. Even GPS your cars location!!!
If you hit refresh on the app it updates your tire pressure LOL! Also using it to lock or unlock or start also updates all the vehicle information.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Yes, it's in the manual. But I found out that you can control the MASSAGE front seats from the side of the seat.

Another, did you know the exhaust pipes are fake? They face downward if you look under the exhaust pipes. First I thought it looked cheesy, then I recalled all the times I had to 'wipe my pipe off' (that doesn't sound right) every time I filled the gas tank on my last car. It was a pain to keep them shiny. Guess this means they'll always be clean. So, not that upset about it.

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Another, did you know the exhaust pipes are fake? They face downward if you look under the exhaust pipes. First I thought it looked cheesy, then I recalled all the times I had to 'wipe my pipe off' (that doesn't sound right) every time I filled the gas tank on my last car. It was a pain to keep them shiny. Guess this means they'll always be clean. So, not that upset about it.
this has been discussed on many forums, even here...

Reactions
Haven't driven mine at night after a couple weeks of ownership but discovered something that was a change from the 5th Gen models with regards to the LED interior lights.

In a spray car wash bay, the dim lighting brought all the interior lights on (I used a lighter blue like on my '14).

20200420_144054.jpg

Opened the door while the engine was running (in Park, of course) and the color behind the door handle changed to red. Hadn't noticed if it was in the manual, but didn't look either. Neat touch.

20200420_144100.jpg

hbalek

Reactions
My 2013
Haven't driven mine at night after a couple weeks of ownership but discovered something that was a change from the 5th Gen models with regards to the LED interior lights.

In a spray car wash bay, the dim lighting brought all the interior lights on (I used a lighter blue like on my '14).

View attachment 593

Opened the door while the engine was running (in Park, of course) and the color behind the door handle changed to red. Hadn't noticed if it was in the manual, but didn't look either. Neat touch.

View attachment 594
My 2013 Lincoln MKZ did the same thing when you open the door and I believe the 2012 Focus had that too. Not sure about other models.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #10

View attachment 593

View attachment 594
That is a nice touch by Ford. My color has been set to red so I never noticed. Nice find!

Reactions
When you use the front window washer, a nozzle under the front camera also squirts the front camera, same goes for the rear, when you wash the rear window, it washes the rear camera.

Reactions
My 17 super duty platinum also did that, basically, the red light replaced the mandated red reflector that vehicles have on the door panel. It's a safety feature that looks much better than a tacky red reflector.

hbalek

Reactions
That's a cool effect when you are dropping a passenger off at night! The driver won't appreciate it as much.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
When you use the front window washer, a nozzle under the front camera also squirts the front camera, same goes for the rear, when you wash the rear window, it washes the rear camera.
Wait, REALLY!? i KNOW WHAT I'M DOING TODAY!!!

hbalek

Reactions
I believe this is in fact in the owner's manual. Also, when automatic wipers are on, when you put it in reverse, the rear wiper activates which is another cool feature.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #16
I believe this is in fact in the owner's manual. Also, when automatic wipers are on, when you put it in reverse, the rear wiper activates which is another cool feature.
We all know that most of this stuff is probably in the manual. It’s fun to rediscover these cool features.

Blackssr

Reactions
Yes, it's in the manual. But I found out that you can control the MASSAGE front seats from the side of the seat.

I wipe my pipe off everyday... Sorry couldn't resist..

Reactions
This is something that can be enabled or disabled in the vehicle options as well.