Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What competitors did you consider before purchasing Explorer ST?

Reactions
I test drove a Range Rover Sport, Audi Q7 and Durango SRT. Ended up falling in love with the Explorer ST.

Reactions
I test drove a Range Rover Sport, Audi Q7 and Durango SRT. Ended up falling in love with the Explorer ST.
Audi Q7, but wanted 2nd row captain chairs so opted for the ST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I personally tried the VW Atlas, Kia Telluride, and Hyundai Palisade. I also tested a 2019 explore sport. Between those i would personally pick the Telluride if i had not gotten the ST. Honestly the interior quality is much better. But like all the other cars on my list the driving experience was dull. The 19 explorer sport led the pack but still felt sluggish. Once i drove the ST my mind was made up.

Reactions
I personally tried the VW Atlas, Kia Telluride, and Hyundai Palisade. I also tested a 2019 explore sport. Between those i would personally pick the Telluride if i had not gotten the ST. Honestly the interior quality is much better. But like all the other cars on my list the driving experience was dull. The 19 explorer sport led the pack but still felt sluggish. Once i drove the ST my mind was made up.
You do get a lot for the money with the Telluride and the car isn't a slouch either. It surprised me when I stomped on the pedal.

Reactions
You do get a lot for the money with the Telluride and the car isn't a slouch either. It surprised me when I stomped on the pedal.
Its not a slouch but it can not really be defined as fun. I found it to be more muted specially in handling. I think a Telluride Sport would be purely amazing.

Reactions
Has Kia put the Telluride on the Stinger's platform and used the same motor, that would have made for a fun car.

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
19 Explorer Sport
Telluride
Palisade

had also looked online at the Atlas, Traverse, and Acadia.

Reactions
As a Chevy/GM guy for my entire driving life I was looking at the Traverse or possibly a Colorado, and I also did give some brief consideration to a Dodge Durango but I ruled that one out pretty early on in the game. This will be the first Ford I have ever owned.

Reactions
Looked at the Q7 and made the following personal observations-

Pros: Acceleration, quiet ride, paint quality
Cons: Price, premium fuel only, cramped third row, small cargo area

gpz1221

Reactions
My must haves were 3 rows, Captains chairs, towing up to 5k++, V8 level power, great driving, Android Auto (a must for me), 87 octane capable, local dealer network choices. As a result of my must haves, my choices were the Expedition (Ford had some nice rebates on 19's), Yukon/Tahoe (felt dated), Durango RT/SRT, Aviator, Telluride & Atlas. The ST delivered on everything I wanted and more at what I felt was the best value believe it not. Close second was the Expedition, third the Aviator, fourth the Durango's (felt dated compared to the ST). I liked the Telluride SX (if I could get one) & the Atlas SEL Rline, they just didn't have the power/driving feel vs.the ST and were actually within $3k-$4K of the OTD price I paid for the ST... I couldn't be happier with my decision, issue free in 3k miles thus far...

Reactions
I messed around thinking the Kia Telluride SX would be a good choice based on all the good press. Hated all the chrome on the Telluride SX and in the end it is still a Kia and I can't wrap my head my around that... Also considered a Durango RT and SRT. But since its due for a redesign I didn't want old technology for the next few years. Bottom line is I probably would have kept my 2016 Explorer Sport if I didn't wake up one day with my mind set on the 2020 ST.

Last edited:

Skeyler

Reactions
I test drove an Audi Q7, Jeep Track Hawk, Chevy RST Tahoe, GMC Denali, Dodge Durango SRT and Mercedes GLE AMG 45. The Audi was a disappointing dog. The Track Hawk was fun but way over priced and based on a years old platform, the Chevy was just too big, same with the Denali, the Durango just wasn't refined on the interior and was 12K more money and the Mercedes wasn't worth the price difference, but performed well. The ST was just fun. I had to get used to seeing the hood, but after that, I'm now comfortable and I really like it.

Reactions
My wife and I thoroughly inspected, drove, and researched several new midsize SUV vehicles over the course of about a year. BMW, caddy, gmc, chevy, jeep, dodge, Ford, honda, Kia, and Hyundai. Almost bought the new passport (too much $ for what it is).
There was just certain things about each that seemed like a compromise to us. Really liked the 019 explorer but decided to wait for the new 2020 to see. Glad we did. Right after testing a new palisade, several available BTW, we went next door to Ford to see if 20's landed yet. One drive in the ST and although pricey, it met all our needs and desires. Exciting vehicle to say the least.

roz0

Reactions
Velar p250, xc90 t5 and wrangler sport s altitude LOL

I wanted the ST from the start, but the programs were awful in November, glad they came around bc this was my first choice...didnt even tune it yet and none of those compare, in any aspect.

OP
robbybenson
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
I messed around thinking the Kia Telluride SX would be a good choice based on all the good press. Hated all the chrome on the Telluride SX and in the end it is still a Kia and I can't wrap my my around that... Also considered a Durango RT and SRT. But since its due for a redesign I didn't want old technology for the next few years. Bottom line is I probably would have kept my 2016 Explorer Sport if I didn't wake up one day with my mind set on the 2020 ST.
The Kia Telluride felt so underpowered when I test drove it. While I love the way the Durango SRT drove, my reasons for not purchasing it was the same, it was due soon for update.

Dr Matt

Reactions
We were looking to downsize from my wife's CX-9. Don't need a third row anymore, but would still like to at least be able to move around my car trailer when I have the 5th wheel already attached to my F350. Looked at Mercedes, BMW, and was seriously considering a Volvo XC60 T8 Polestar. To get something I like better than the ST requires stepping up to the 6 digit price range. I'm also a die hard Ford guy so even though the ST is actually bigger, not smaller than the CX-9 it just seems like the best bang for the buck, especially when considering modding potential and price.

Reactions
my last truck was a range rover sport.. needed three rows, but couldn’t wait for the durango hellcat.. so i got this in the meantime.. but i actually love it.. would it be silly to have 2 three row suvs?

davesike

Reactions
I messed around thinking the Kia Telluride SX would be a good choice based on all the good press. Hated all the chrome on the Telluride SX and in the end it is still a Kia and I can't wrap my head my around that... Also considered a Durango RT and SRT. But since its due for a redesign I didn't want old technology for the next few years. Bottom line is I probably would have kept my 2016 Explorer Sport if I didn't wake up one day with my mind set on the 2020 ST.