Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Went through some high water and engine won't start.

Jornum1

Reactions
So here in NJ we were hit by the remnants of the hurricane. A good friends dog got loose and I was out trying to help look for him when I ran into about 2 feet of water. Some water went into the grill and the truck stalled and wouldn't start. It won't even attempt to turn over. What am I looking at here? I can't get it towed till the morning.
The water receeded about a half hour later, it never got even to the bottom of the doors.
Any chance she will start in the morning, or am I looking at a hydrolock issue.
On a side note does anyone else think it's pretty dumb to have the air inlet right in front he middle of the grill.
I was not going fast less then 10mph. It was raining so hard I couldn't even tell there was water until it was too late.
Thanks in advance

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hydro lock is a definite possibility. Hope for the best. Heard you guys got hammered with rain yesterday.

Reactions
Sorry to hear, I'm in Pompton Lakes so not far from you and we got hammered as well! I'm hoping its in a sort of limp mode after sensing the water and once it dries out she'll turn over.

Best of luck!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The air intake snorkel is about half way up the grill on the drivers side…if you submerged that you ingested water and hydrolocked the engine. Best case scenario you pull all the spark plugs and turn it over by hand to force the water out and it’ll be fine. Worst case you ingested water and bent the rods and need a new engine.