Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

WeatherTech BumpStep

Reactions
I am considering purchasing a few upgrades and protection items for this vehicle, one of them being the WeatherTech BumpStep found here: https://www.weathertech.ca/en/bumpstepxl/

The performance videos of impact testing are very impressive and I would no doubt rather have someone hit and crush this $130 item than ruin my rear end. This of course would only apply to low speed rear end hits or someone backing straight in to it in a parking lot.

Just curious on everyone's thoughts on this. It's hard to say how this would look on the Explorer ST. It's black plastic, so it should blend in nicely with the lower end of the rear of the vehicle. It has room for adjustment so it should tuck in without sticking out too far.

Reactions
I am considering purchasing a few upgrades and protection items for this vehicle, one of them being the WeatherTech BumpStep found here: https://www.weathertech.ca/en/bumpstepxl/

The performance videos of impact testing are very impressive and I would no doubt rather have someone hit and crush this $130 item than ruin my rear end. This of course would only apply to low speed rear end hits or someone backing straight in to it in a parking lot.

Just curious on everyone's thoughts on this. It's hard to say how this would look on the Explorer ST. It's black plastic, so it should blend in nicely with the lower end of the rear of the vehicle. It has room for adjustment so it should tuck in without sticking out too far.
Wow that’s hideous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Sure if you back into something just perfect the step might save your bumper but why would you want that bumper step sticking out the back of the explorer for a big what if. Not to mention it would look ridicules having a step on a vehicle that sets 8 inches off the ground. Plus you'll be cussing it the first time you bash your leg into it while reaching into the back.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
1615117945508.png
We had one of these on the 2005 Explorer. A kid hit us and it did save our vehicle. These come in chrome or black, and are only $50.00.

RLW

Reactions
This one looks better built...just browsing on Amazon. No personal experience...
Tyger Auto TG-HS8U81238 Hitch Armor Compatible with Vehicles with 2" Hitch Receiver | Textured Black | Hitch Step | Rear Bumper Guard Protector | with Pin Lock and Stabilizer