Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

VP Racing Octanium® Unleaded

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Has / does anyone use this octane booster? I was watching a Palm Beach Dyno video on UToob where they had a ST on a dyno and show the HP and TQ with stock, then PBD 93 tune, then the same tune with this octane booster added. The dyno charts indicated it made a pretty reasonable increase on HP and TQ with the octane booster. Is this stuff harmful to the engine? I wouldn't think so but I've never used a booster before so I claim ignorance on this (any many, many other) topic.. :)

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I only use Boostane but all of them use MMT in the ingredients. Prolonged use will coat the plugs and O2 sensors and can foul them out. It’s fine to run for a couple of tanks but then run 4-5 clean tanks through it. It won’t clean it all off but it’ll help.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I only use Boostane but all of them use MMT in the ingredients. Prolonged use will coat the plugs and O2 sensors and can foul them out. It’s fine to run for a couple of tanks but then run 4-5 clean tanks through it. It won’t clean it all off but it’ll help.
Excellent, thank you sir! Looks like Boostane is a little less dollar intensive :)

Last edited:
OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
93 is the highest readily available in this area.

Reactions
There’s no airports, speed shops or motorcycle shops around? I mix 110 in with my 93 for my boats. I always hate adding stuff to fuel that’s already full of additives

Reactions
I use boostane every few tanks, whether it makes a difference or not I don't know lol

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm lucky enough to have a local Sunoco station that sells their race fuel in 5 gallon cans. You can get 260 GT Plus 104 octane (r+m)/2 or Evo 10 (105 octane). Both are unleaded, main difference is 02 content. Cheaper to buy in 5 gallon quantities than Boostane.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
so, I searched around and found a Sunoco somewhat close that sells the 5 gal. 'pail' 260 GT 100 for ~$65. Seems like a reasonable deal. I think the 'form factor' of the 16/32 oz. containers will work better for me, though.

I appreciate all the knowledge sharing on this forum, thank you all!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just for perspective, 5 gallons of Boostane Pro is $399.00! Buying it in the small form factor is even more- $499!!!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
In fact, after looking at those prices, I'm thinking of investing in a webpage for Tmactane. Just need a website, some 25 cent Chinese made bottles, a funnel, and someone to ship it. Probably a million dollar business. Anyone wanna invest?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just for perspective, 5 gallons of Boostane Pro is $399.00! Buying it in the small form factor is even more- $499!!!
What’s the $ breakout to achieve X octane rating with each though?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The Boostane "shot" shows 96 octane. The Sunoco products are at least 8 points higher. I'll leave it to someone else to do the math- seem pretty self evident to me that Boostane is no where near as cost effective as Sunoco's products. No, I do not work for Sunoco!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I was "tongue in cheek" on my post. Sunoco is a race fuel, not an octane booster, although it could be used as one. In order for any octane booster to achieve those numbers requires a large amount of MMT and/or TEL combined with some sort of solvent, probably Toluene, MTBE, or other methyl or butyl ethers. It's not something I'd run in my car regardless of claims that it won't harm cats, plugs, cylinders, etc. I'd stick with e-85 for the hi-po tunes.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
thanks for the calcs @UNBROKEN , that preemptively answered my follow up question :)