Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Violent downshifts / "scrambling" upshifts -- anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions
Quite often when ford (and many other manufacuters) puts out a new transmission model, dealers are instructed to swap it out as a whole unit so that ford engineers can tear it down to determine the issues. The Explorer and the Aviator are the first models to use this particular transmission and transfer case setup so they probably don't want the average local tech to come up with conclusions and have stuff heard second-hand by consumers flying around the internet.

It sucks as we are basically used as real-world beta testers.
We need some of the shop trucks that have voided their warranties to start breaking things so we can get a real teardown.

Reactions
I may have mis-spoke, the Navigator and Expedition may use the same transfer case, I do not know.

Either way, it is more cost effective for dealers to simply swap the parts so the chances of getting a tear down are pretty slim.

Blk_Ravn_ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a 2019 f150 with the 10 speed tranny and it’s problematic. It clunks, misses shifts. It’s my work truck and the shop always says it’s normal. Just waiting for the tranny to grenade. It’s had some violent shifts that have thrown my head back. St so far so good so hoping they refined a few things. Shop did say that the battery reset wipes the memory for.m the transmision and it will relearn the way you drive. Daly the same to me. Lol

Blk_Ravn_ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Do some searches online for the f150 ten speed transmissions. Have it in my 2019 f150 xlt work truck and it has had issues. Violent downshifts. Fishing for gears. Slow downshifts when dumping speed so it’s pushing you while breaking. Just a basket case. Shop has said it’s normal. There’s lawsuits pending on the ten speed transmissions. I just hoped it wouldn’t be an issue with the st. Fingers crossed.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Do some searches online for the f150 ten speed transmissions. Have it in my 2019 f150 xlt work truck and it has had issues. Violent downshifts. Fishing for gears. Slow downshifts when dumping speed so it’s pushing you while breaking. Just a basket case. Shop has said it’s normal. There’s lawsuits pending on the ten speed transmissions. I just hoped it wouldn’t be an issue with the st. Fingers crossed.
Your F150 has a 10R80. Your ST has a 10R60

OP
Q

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Thread Starter #26
Just got my ST back from the dealer. New tranny. Fingers crossed I just got a dud from the factory.

Reactions
I’m sure the dealer won’t give you the run around, I can’t post sum stuff on a public forum. If they do not say there is a fix get ahold of me and I’ll share the info, but all dealers have the information to fix it. I’ll just say it’s not a shot in the dark like the previous post suggested. I know a lot of people get frustrated with taking the vehicles to get fixed at the dealership, but a lot of patience on the customers part goes along way with the dealership. I get it though when you spend this kind of money. It’s a brand new vehicle line and it has kinks. My wife’s ST has had a fair share already. With the COVID stuff it makes it that much worst, we can’t get parts to save our lives! It’s crazy the amount of parts on back order right now but at the dealership level they have no control at all! A lot of customers don’t care and goes nuts on the dealership for that reason. Most dealership service personal actually do care about your car and your needs, I agree sum don’t and they do have bad days just like everyone else. Ford and all other brands have to be careful what gets out since there are customers that just want all the TSB’s that they can find preformed on there veh whether they actually need it or not. I’m 99% sure the dealer will fix the issue if they can duplicate the concern. My biggest advice is give the dealer a chance and be patient and calm about your needs. We like to get our customers to ride with us and show us exactly what they’re seeing with there vehicle. I know I’ll probably get sum backlash but I hope not. It’s not that i don’t want to share it all and it’s NOT national security issue at all but all the manufacturers are trying to protect themselves as well as to take care of there customers at the same time. I’ll also say that 99.9% of the issues with the 2020 is software programming issues, very rare do we actually have to go into a major component on a 2020!! Now it’s. Different story with the all the 2020 cameras, we are having major issues with the 2020 camera issues and I expect sum sort or bulletin on the camera for all line ups for 2020.

OP
Q

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Thread Starter #29
My service department has been nothing short of accommodating for any issues I've had, especially this one.

It's always important to establish a good rapport with them, so they will take care of you.

My frustration lies on the shoddy quality of parts put into a $50-60K vehicle. I didn't have this much problems with my 13 Explorer Sport for the 7 years and 197k miles that I've had in 8 months and 7k miles with my 2020 Explorer. It's maddening.

Lcrawford

Reactions
So update to this thread:

The unhooking the battery didn't do anything. Still slammed into the lower gears.

Took it in to Ford yesterday, they're replacing the transmission.
It’s the transmission, mine is doing the same thing. It’s really not safe to drive. Demand they fix it!

kulderas

Reactions
Welp. Unfortunately I think I just ran into this issue at 4600 miles. Feels like I'm getting rear ended when coming to a stop around 20-30 mph. Not sure what gear it happens at, but doesn't seem to happen on upshifts, just downshifts. After coming to a complete stop I get a burning rubber or burning something smell.

kulderas

Reactions
So, have an update. I dropped it off 6 days ago and just heard something back. They're saying it's the issue associated with TSB 20-2305. We'll see if it does the job. Here is a link to the TSB if anyone is interested: Ford Motor Company (nhtsa.gov)

I'm hoping there isn't any permanent damage since the downshifting was pretty harsh.

Last edited:
Reactions
So my ST has been at the dealer since December 21st. They finally got parts this week and did the repair. But call this am from service guy said that they test drove it and its doing the hard shifting in other gears than what TSB 2035 covered. Evidently there is another TSB 20-2403 that came out November 20th. But long and short of it is, I'm stuck in limbo waiting for Ford to ether decide to try this new fix, or install new transmission, if they decide the repair costs are too much. Anyone have any feedback on completely new transmission install? Any issues? And has anyone had any good luck with the results of these TSB repairs? I'm pretty patient, but one month now waiting, and now no idea when they will resolve this issue on my $50,000 plus car.

92onward

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
When you guys say violent downshifts, is this universal or just on sport/normal/etc mode?

I have experienced rough downshifts on sport mode but it isn’t “violent”

kulderas

Reactions
Sport mode seems to more aggressively shift which I think is normal. My issue felt more like a hard jerk/jolt when downshifting in Normal mode and I could smell a burning smell.

Anyway, I got the car back and shifting seems smoother. My paperwork says they referred to TSB 20-2337 which I can't seem to find, but the description and parts look very similar to 20-2305.

Reactions
Update on my situation. Service department did the TSB 20-2035 fix and test drove. Still have the hard shifting issues and searching. They didn't even try to say it was fixed. Just said stand by for the next TSB, which I think is TSB 20-2403. Anyway after discussion, I'm in limbo, since they can't say whether this will fix, or I'll end up with new transmission, and who knows if that will fix it? I started buy back process with Ford corporate yesterday. Vehicle been at dealer since Dec 21st. Ford corporate didn't really even bat an eye at my request, so I'm guessing the buy back issue is common for my time frame vehicle. Said they get back to me within 5 business days.