Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Violent downshifts / "scrambling" upshifts -- anyone else experiencing this?

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
So in the last couple days, my ST has been violently downshifting when coasting/slowing down to either stop or make a turn...so much it feels like slamming into "PARK" and it clunks.

Also, when I'm accelerating onto the highway the transmission seems to be searching for the right gear ("scrambling" seems to be the only word I can use to describe the rapid gear changes).

Anyone else have these problems? My ST is stock, no tunes.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If you haven't done so already, try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and have the transmission relearn timing. Mine was decidedly more herky jerky for the 6months before I tried the above. Much smoother shifting since.

OP
Q

QwikEVO

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
If you haven't done so already, try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and have the transmission relearn timing. Mine was decidedly more herky jerky for the 6months before I tried the above. Much smoother shifting since.
Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I read somewhere (probably here) that this is sometimes a problem after a few thousand miles, and can be fixed with a re-programming.

OP
Q

QwikEVO

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
So update to this thread:

The unhooking the battery didn't do anything. Still slammed into the lower gears.

Took it in to Ford yesterday, they're replacing the transmission.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Wow.

KegsBdry

Reactions

The unhooking the battery didn't do anything. Still slammed into the lower gears.

I ran into another 2020 Explorer (not an ST) owner that was there for the same problem. It didn't sound good when the mechanic drove it off to the shop. :oops:

Reactions
That is why I wait until vehicles have around 10-15K miles before throwing a tune on it. Looks like you made a good choice by waiting it out as well.

Also, first year of production of any new model can be a bit of an adventure, I told myself to wait until next year and get a 2021 but I just got sick of my previous vehicle sooner than I thought I would.

OP
Q

QwikEVO

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
That is why I wait until vehicles have around 10-15K miles before throwing a tune on it. Looks like you made a good choice by waiting it out as well.

Also, first year of production of any new model can be a bit of an adventure, I told myself to wait until next year and get a 2021 but I just got sick of my previous vehicle sooner than I thought I would.
We had one problem with my '13 Sport (transmission as well - weird right?) in the 6 years and 197k miles I had it. Thought we'd bucked the trend.

As for tuning, yeah...I'm gonna let everyone else figure out the weak points of the drivetrain before I do lol

Reactions
Take it in to your dealer, there is a fix for it. If you get the run around PM me and I’ll give you the information you need.

OP
Q

QwikEVO

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Take it in to your dealer, there is a fix for it. If you get the run around PM me and I’ll give you the information you need.
my local dealer is taking care of it.

OP
Q

QwikEVO

Reactions
Thread Starter #13
So folks, I won't have my ST back until mid-July.

Sheesh.

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

Wow fukn suks sorry to here that!!!

OP
Q

QwikEVO

Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Did you at least get a dealer loaner for the inconvenience?!!
Well, got an Edge rental from Enterprise from them. Glad I got an Explorer lol

Dave

Reactions
Just had the exact issue with my transmission during downshift on my 2020 Ford Explorer ST over last two days with only 7600 km (4750 miles) on it. Taking it to dealer on Monday. This thread really helped convince me that this is a Manufacturing flaw that needs to be addressed immediately.

Senior Master,

You mentioned in the thread there is a fix for it if the dealer gives me the run around. Could I trouble you to comment?

Dave

Reactions
Just thought I would post update. Dealer inspected the transmission and found the problem. Changing the transmission! Not good and makes me wonder if Ford is burying a terrible secret given the cost of a major recall.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
So has anyone stated what’s actually failing?

OP
Q

QwikEVO

Reactions
Thread Starter #20
So has anyone stated what’s actually failing?
My dealership said their troubleshooting tree led to the transmission.

Now if that means they actually troubleshot or just "shot gunned" the transmission, I don't know...