Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Vertical Distortions In The Windshield

F=MA

Reactions
Has anyone notice any vertical distortions in the windshield. When I am cleaning the inside of my drivers side window and look over at the passenger side windshield from about the steering wheel angle there are repeated vertical distortions in the windshield almost the full height of the windshield. I have never ridden as a passenger in the car but I assume the wife would have spoke up if it was an issue for the passengero_O.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Got any pictures?

Reactions
Has anyone notice any vertical distortions in the windshield. When I am cleaning the inside of my drivers side window and look over at the passenger side windshield from about the steering wheel angle there are repeated vertical distortions in the windshield almost the full height of the windshield. I have never ridden as a passenger in the car but I assume the wife would have spoke up if it was an issue for the passengero_O.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I also notice the waves or wavy kind of appearance on the opposite side under certain light conditions. Like I can see the distortions on the passenger side if I am sitting on the driver side. When I sit on the passenger side, I can see it on the driver side. So is is evenly all over. But again only at certain angles etc.

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
No, phone camera sucks. Imagine a 20 inch tall bar code pasted to the inside of the windshield with the black stripes of the bar code being replaced by vertical glass distortions (unknown width - say one inch) spaced horizontally by some unknown distance - say one inch.

Reactions
Don’t suppose you’re wearing polarized sunglasses at the time and that’s interfering with your view through a polarized windshield? Mind you, you said you were inside looking out so that’s probably not the answer.

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Don’t suppose you’re wearing polarized sunglasses at the time and that’s interfering with your view through a polarized windshield? Mind you, you said you were inside looking out so that’s probably not the answer.
No sun glasses.

Reactions
Good idea but the windshield is not polarized. If it were, as soon as you tilt your head while wearing polarized lenses, your view would start to darken and once you’re at a 90 degree angle, you wouldn’t be able to see at all through the windshield.

Dphan67

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Mine has what I can only refer to as sparkles throughout the windshield, in an uneven pattern. I thought something was on the window, but cleaned and polished the glass and still present. It almost looks like something within the layers of glass, possibly a laminate issue. I will take it in soon as the driver power window switch chrome has started flaking as well. Unfortunately I have a beach parking pass which there will be now way to save, so I may wait a few months until that expires.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Went and checked mine.

Nothing.

What's y'all's build dates?

Mine is 11/20

Jim

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My wife noticed a small distortion while cleaning the front window on the lower left side. She thought it was a scuff or smudge. You have to really be looking for it to see it. Build date was 8/20.

OP
F=MA

F=MA

Reactions
Thread Starter #11
6/20

Fedman

Reactions
My wife noticed a small distortion while cleaning the front window on the lower left side. She thought it was a scuff or smudge. You have to really be looking for it to see it. Build date was 8/20.
My windshield is distorted around the mirror and the lower edge of the windshield. Do you happen to notice if you have a Carlite or a carlex windshield? I started noticing the problems on my windshield was replaced with Carlex

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
FWIW, I've seen minor distortions in the windshields of pretty much every car I've owned. Most recently, 10+ years of Toyotas, all with minor distortions IF you look close enough :)