Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Vehicle Status Update - bit of reading

Reactions
The last time I posted it was asking about the smell coming into the vehicle and was finally able to get the vehicle into the dealership on Feb 4th, 2022. I brought the vehicle in for a few things, drivers seat noise, sulfuric smell, and valvetrain noise. The dealer replaced the rails for the seat (no idea if that fixed it) and confirmed that the cam phasers needed to be replaced and those were on back order. Those came in around the 5 week mark of being there and after the phasers were replaced the vehicle was running worse than when I brought it in. Great, after Ford having to buy back the 2019 Edge ST I had, here we go again!

A couple weeks went by with no updates from the dealer and I requested for the status. I heard back on week 8 and found out that they tore the engine apart 3 times by different techs with replacing parts yet again with no progress. Engine is still running like crap (alerts now in the FordPass app for a MIL). The dealership had been in contact with the Ford Hotline for assistance, none of that helping a FSE (Field Service Engineer) was supposed to be at the dealership within 2 business days. The advisor told me he was talking with the techs the night before and even they were at the point where they had hope Ford would just say to replace the engine. At this point I had just opened a case with the Ford Customer Relations so they could help facilitate any parts or whatever they do. I'll probably ask if there is any additional extended warranty they can give me at this point (although I already paid for one, maybe there is another for additional time and mileage).

A few days came and went and I asked for another update, after a couple days I heard from the dealership, that was today (tomorrow is 9 weeks it's been there). The FSE did make it to the dealership and couldn't figure out what was going on and approved an engine replacement. So 5-7 business days for that to arrive (thankfully the engine is available) and then whatever time it takes to install. So I'm sure it will be 10 or 11 weeks I will not have had my vehicle once I hopefully get it back. I still worry a bit about the dealer doing a good job with the install too, but probably better than after them tearing the engine apart and putting it back together.

For me, bottom line is that I'll never own another new Ford vehicle, and have been warning others to steer clear as well. The Explorer ST is fun to drive, when I've had it in my possession. But Ford "quality" sure isn't there. I would have considered yet another buy back, but with new vehicles hard to come by right now it just didn't make sense to go that route unless I'm forced to by something else going wrong.

If you have gotten this far, thanks for reading and letting me vent a bit about all this, it's been frustrating and annoying to go through major issues with yet another new Ford.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I understand your pain. Before my Explorer, my last Ford was a 1996 Winstar. That thing was such a POS. Finally blew head gaskets at 37K and they refused to cover anything even though they had a head gasket recall up to 95. Swore i would never buy another Ford.

Having said that, I have been extremely happy with my ST in the 2,000 miles I've driven. All manufacturers have lemons. Fingers crossed on my Explorer.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This may be my first and last Ford. Anyways, good luck with the engine swap. Maybe you'll change your tune after they make it right. Looking forward to another update...

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
This may be my first and last Ford. Anyways, good luck with the engine swap. Maybe you'll change your tune after they make it right. Looking forward to another update...
Once I have it back I'll post an update, and try to do another after a bit of time as well

barackus

Reactions
This sucks and Ford quality is shit. Had the engine replaced in my '21 ST due to a vibration(which was ultimately the exhaust. New long block put in and didn't fix the problem. Exhaust arrived for them to replace and the new long block from Ford had a rod knock - engine replacement # 2. Metal in the oil and filter and turbos weren't going to be replaced due to that. Long story short, Ford bought it back - 30 days in total they had the vehicle. I really don't need an SUV but wanted 4wheel drive. Picked up an Acura TLX S type. Quality b/w Acura and Ford is night and day.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I heard from the dealer yesterday that the engine should "be in any day now", with any luck maybe I'll have my vehicle back next week some time

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Well as of today I still don't have my vehicle back, however the dealership today said I will have it back tomorrow (I won't be holding my breath). Going on 3.5 months of my vehicle being at the dealer now.

Reactions
I've had a few brawls with Ford regarding my 2021 ST. Encountered some bizarre manufacturing practices and discovered items plainly left off (against my vehicles build plan). Confronted Ford and was given the worst low-quality BS answers (must think we customers are all idiots).

However, I must balance by saying that overall my ST is a pleasure FUN to drive with minor glitches through the 16k miles I have logged so far and my local dealer treats me well. But hey...Iike many others I too have a list of gripes and design changes I’d make if I could i.e. should have the same folding shift lever they gave to the F-150. Lose the knob.

Also, we did the ST SUV Experience in Park City, UT last June. Took my 18yo son with me and absolutely had a BLAST. He got to be very aggressive their ST without me yelling at him. I taught him old-school launch control by spooling up the turbos for a standing start using the gas and brake pedals together. That put a smile on his face.

Food for thought: When will Ford offer a Coyote engine version? Or better yet a serious Shelby track focused version (not just badges and stripping) that logs a very respectable Nürburgring lap time for a street legal production SUV. And how about a full sized spare tire like the Police Intercepter gets? I just bought a full size rim & tire and throw it in the back on long trips. Upgrade that 10” screen so the nav map uses more of it’s real estate AND install a physical “Calm” button on the top of its frame (drilling down thru the menu is dangerous while driving).

I could talk your ears off...

Last edited:
OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I finally was able to pick up my vehicle today, however as I was looking at the car with the advisor he popped the hood and first things I noticed was the prop rod dangling because they didn't install the clip again (not the end of the world as I have hood struts) but there are also 2 missing bolts right at the top of that cross member that they didn't install either. Because they aren't needed in the short term they are ordering those parts (guess they lost them) and when I go back to get the parts they offered to fill my gas tank again for the inconvenience. Now to put some miles on this engine and get an oil change in about 1000 miles. At least I have my vehicle back now again after almost 14 weeks.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
I finally was able to pick up my vehicle today, however as I was looking at the car with the advisor he popped the hood and first things I noticed was the prop rod dangling because they didn't install the clip again (not the end of the world as I have hood struts) but there are also 2 missing bolts right at the top of that cross member that they didn't install either. Because they aren't needed in the short term they are ordering those parts (guess they lost them) and when I go back to get the parts they offered to fill my gas tank again for the inconvenience. Now to put some miles on this engine and get an oil change in about 1000 miles. At least I have my vehicle back now again after almost 14 weeks.
Keep your fingers crossed that the two bolts that they lost do not end up flying through the radiator

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST - STAR WHITE
I've had a few brawls with Ford regarding my 2021 ST. Encountered some bizarre manufacturing practices and discovered items plainly left off (against my vehicles build plan). Confronted Ford and was given the worst low-quality BS answers (must think we customers are all idiots).

However, I must balance by saying that overall my ST is a pleasure FUN to drive with minor glitches through the 16k miles I have logged so far and my local dealer treats me well. But hey...Iike many others I too have a list of gripes and design changes I’d make if I could i.e. should have the same folding shift lever they gave to the F-150. Lose the knob.

Also, we did the ST SUV Experience in Park City, UT last June. Took my 18yo son with me and absolutely had a BLAST. He got to be very aggressive their ST without me yelling at him. I taught him old-school launch control by spooling up the turbos for a standing start using the gas and brake pedals together. That put a smile on his face.

Food for thought: When will Ford offer a Coyote engine version? Or better yet a serious Shelby track focused version (not just badges and stripping) that logs a very respectable Nürburgring lap time for a street legal production SUV. And how about a full sized spare tire like the Police Intercepter gets? I just bought a full size rim & tire and throw it in the back on long trips. Upgrade that 10” screen so the nav map uses more of it’s real estate AND install a physical “Calm” button on the top of its frame (drilling down thru the menu is dangerous while driving).

I could talk your ears off...
I know it's a small consolation, but you can make the Nav map use the full screen by tapping on the map.

Explorer ST Posts