Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Variables Affecting Transmission Fluid Level Reading

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
For a 10R60 at 3 on the dipstick, sitting level, running in Park, at "operating temperature" (206 - 215 deg F), does anyone have real world comparisons with:

A. Front wheels up on average height ramps, running in Park, at "operating temperature" (206 - 215 deg F)
B. Front wheels up on average height ramps, running in Park, "cold" (just ran it long enough to put it on the ramps)
C. Front wheels up on average height ramps, not running, "cold"

Anecdotally....
... condition A would give a false high reading, but is it 2, 2.5 or ?
... condition B would give a false low reading, but is it 3.5, 4 or ?
... condition C... who knows?

Just wondering if anyone has ever made these comparisons to gather actual facts and give us some options for performing quicker, simpler checks.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
No one is going to read a level with the front end on ramps or jacked up. If you use front ramps, you should at least attempt to level the car by jacking up the rears on jackstands.

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Cdubya...... so, you are saying..... you don't have answers to the questions. That's ok, the answers are out there, somewhere.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I highly doubt the answers are anywhere…because none of those are the right way to check it…why would anyone even try? Makes no sense. Do it right and get the correct reading.

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
UNBROKEN.....
"why would anyone even try": because some folks might not have a safe way to level it for a "proper" check.

I've only had mine since late November '23....but I'm gonna run it up on front ramps and crawl under it, cold, to get the cap broken loose for the first time. No point having it up to full temp while I fight that battle. Once I get it broken free, I'll get a cold, "nose up", running in park, reading as a reference. Next, I'll take it for a 20 minute drive (watching the transmission temp indicator using tow/haul mode), bring it back to the ramps and get another reading. If the reading is greater than three in that condition....we know it is low (as compared to level), but we just don't know by how much. If needed, I'll come up with a safe way to raise the rear of the vehicle and get an exact reading.

Does that at least make a little sense?

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Drive the front on ramps and lift the rear with a floor jack…like everyone else that does this at home. Use stands in the back to not die.

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Yeah, I need to go buy a floor jack.

dc332

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Black Ford Explorer ST
I think the reason why it isn't checked cold is that a significant amount the fluid would drain into the pan when the vehicle isn't running. I noticed this when I would check it cold on my 10r80, the dipstick would always be completely coated. When the system is running at operating temperature and actively pumping fluid throughout the trans and torque converter, it is a much more accurate assessment of your fluid level.

As checking the fluid, I was able to pop the cap off with minor difficulty while the car was off (but hot). Once I had the dip stick in place, I would start it and check my levels. I did not jack it up to do this.

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
HOW ABOUT YOU TAKE IT WHERE YOU BOUGHT IT FROM AND HAVE THEM CHECK IT. BUY THE GUYS LUNCH OR SOMETHING CALL IT A DAY.

Reactions
Does the motor have to be running when checking the transmission temp, or can it just be warm?

Does the 10R60 have the same vent as shown here on a 10R80? I'm wondering what happens if the trans is overfilled: does it cause issues, or does excess fluid get pushed out this vent?
1714618507221.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Does the motor have to be running when checking the transmission temp, or can it just be warm?

Does the 10R60 have the same vent as shown here on a 10R80? I'm wondering what happens if the trans is overfilled: does it cause issues, or does excess fluid get pushed out this vent?
View attachment 22926
Yes, it needs to be running, level and at operating temp to get a correct reading. If it's overfilled, the fluid will get on the planetary gears causing it to foam up and then it goes downhill from there! I'd imagine if you have fluid coming out of that vent it's overfilled!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So the answer for checking when cold is "Kinda"

Yes it will read lower than what is expected but you should still be able to get a range of whats normal. I believe cold on a level surface I was reading at a 4 which warmed up to about 2.5