Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Undercarriage Rattling

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Started hearing a rattling noise coming from passenger side when driving on highway. Come to find out it’s the undercarriage that’s coming slightly loose. Has anyone had this problem and what’s the fix? Looks like one of the bolts may have came loose as well and I cannot tighten.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If your talking about the underbody panels yes, I had one nut come completely off on the passenger side. Could see the panel hanging down. Found a nut/washer that fit and fixed it.

OP
BigAnt75

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
What size washer?

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It looked like a fender washer. small hole, inch diameter washer. You may be able to get the actual hardware from the dealer.

Reactions
I just removed it. With the Thermal Exhaust, there's nothing remotely close to the heat shields. I may reinstall it before winter to try to keep salt and snow of the floor pans.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
yup, get some stainless fender washers and M6 nuts. There is a section that is cut inward (for whatever reason), that flaps even with the new hardware. You can get creative with some zip ties to fasten it to the holes above.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You can get creative with some zip ties to fasten it to the holes above.
Sounds like a "Zip Tie Moment" from Roadkill Garage. Lol

John B

Reactions
Same issue here - annoying rattling sound. Dealership wanted $200 to fix…that is an expensive fender washer, bolt and nut! Thanks for posting fix!

OP
BigAnt75

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Just got mine fixed as it was the passenger side that was loose. Dealer took care of it and tightened everything back up and added the push pin that was loose. Only charged $35 as it took half an hour to take all off and redo. Great news is my dealer took care of the charge and ended up being free. Great service!