Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

UNBROKEN’s Iconic Silver ST build

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #561
Working on a strut tower brace. I found the aluminum bar then stripped the paint and I’ll weld up the mounts this weekend.
7D5A443A-744E-4A2A-831A-ABFF1BCD61D1.jpeg

Reactions
I saw Kevin & Brett used the same what's its original application?

Reactions
Are you changing the master cylinder with those new brakes? Seems to me you will have much longer pedal travel if you don't up the capacity of the mc to match the extra volume of the caliper. How about the extra heat generated by the much larger thermal mass of the larger rotors? Will you modify the cooling? Also the significantly larger diameter front rotor will mess up proportioning, it will be interesting to see if the Ford electronic system that was referred to previously has the capacity to adapt to larger amounts of fluid movement and the significantly higher brake torque from the fronts.
Are you seeing heat checking or signs of overheating on the existing rotors? Pads and fluid are often all that's needed to mitigate fade.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #564
Are you changing the master cylinder with those new brakes? Seems to me you will have much longer pedal travel if you don't up the capacity of the mc to match the extra volume of the caliper. How about the extra heat generated by the much larger thermal mass of the larger rotors? Will you modify the cooling? Also the significantly larger diameter front rotor will mess up proportioning, it will be interesting to see if the Ford electronic system that was referred to previously has the capacity to adapt to larger amounts of fluid movement and the significantly higher brake torque from the fronts.
Are you seeing heat checking or signs of overheating on the existing rotors? Pads and fluid are often all that's needed to mitigate fade.
It’s fine. Go worry about your fuel octane.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #566
We don’t need to see anything. It’s already been worked out.

Reactions
Judging by this thread, we will see Everything. Touchy, eh?

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #568
Judging by this thread, we will see Everything. Touchy, eh?
Just don’t need your useless comments on my thread. And yes, this is actually my thread.

Reactions
Looking forward to seeing your finished brake project! I am wanting to do the same modification. Keep us posted!

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #571
Brakes are done. 060B099B-D6FA-49FC-87FC-B035916D47AE.jpeg 2E1D75F8-055E-49E9-8DE3-2BE6EFE5698E.jpeg 0D38E367-A050-4D89-B4E7-F622015489FD.jpeg

Reactions
Nice! I am a fan of the front setup. But not at all on the rear setup. We need alternatives to that 1-pot. I’ve got some ideas. But need to pull a wheel and pull some Wilwoods of the shelf and see how funky the adapter bar will me. I really think the GT350R stuff gets close. Though warren at racing brake said it wont work.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #574
Nice! I am a fan of the front setup. But not at all on the rear setup. We need alternatives to that 1-pot. I’ve got some ideas. But need to pull a wheel and pull some Wilwoods of the shelf and see how funky the adapter bar will me. I really think the GT350R stuff gets close. Though warren at racing brake said it wont work.
The EPB is the issue. Rotora has a work around for double what this cost me. I’m just not interested in $6-8K brake sets anymore. And I’ve had many.
RB has a larger diameter rotor coming soon that will at least increase the brake torque for people interested in that.
Little Shop did a workaround for the F150’s that uses a separate EPB along with a normal caliper...I wouldn’t like having 2 calipers on each side. They used Wilwood parts.

Reactions
The EPB is the issue. Rotora has a work around for double what this cost me. I’m just not interested in $6-8K brake sets anymore. And I’ve had many.
RB has a larger diameter rotor coming soon that will at least increase the brake torque for people interested in that.
Little Shop did a workaround for the F150’s that uses a separate EPB along with a normal caliper...I wouldn’t like having 2 calipers on each side. They used Wilwood parts.
Yep. Thats where Im at . Something along these lines.

Attachments

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think that you mistake this site for the minivan site to which you used to post such nonsense. Unknown to you there are a lot of older, educated people who buy STs- including engineers. So let me begin- First of all, have YOU measured the volume difference between the upgrade brake and the originals? No you haven't. Second, I don't know where you took any physics classes but you missed the section on Boyle- a few extra milliliters of capacity, even if it existed, would have nothing to do with the pressure applied to the braking system. Next, the extra heat generated is dissipated due to the larger surface area of the rotor, not to mention the cross drilling and venting added to the rotors. You must have also missed that day in class. As far as higher amounts of fluid movement? The only reason this would happen is under a condition where the brake pads were much further away from the rotor- so you've also measured that as well? The only thing you said that makes any sense is that pads and fluid are a crucial part of a braking system. I just don't understand people who show off their ignorance- what is the motivation behind that?

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #578
I think that you mistake this site for the minivan site to which you used to post such nonsense. Unknown to you there are a lot of older, educated people who buy STs- including engineers. So let me begin- First of all, have YOU measured the volume difference between the upgrade brake and the originals? No you haven't. Second, I don't know where you took any physics classes but you missed the section on Boyle- a few extra milliliters of capacity, even if it existed, would have nothing to do with the pressure applied to the braking system. Next, the extra heat generated is dissipated due to the larger surface area of the rotor, not to mention the cross drilling and venting added to the rotors. You must have also missed that day in class. As far as higher amounts of fluid movement? The only reason this would happen is under a condition where the brake pads were much further away from the rotor- so you've also measured that as well? The only thing you said that makes any sense is that pads and fluid are a crucial part of a braking system. I just don't understand people who show off their ignorance- what is the motivation behind that?
Not to mention it stops just fine. lol
I was curious where he was going with the “more fluid” line of thinking...it did make my eye twitch though. lol

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #579
Finished fabbing my strut tower bar today.

32EE7D0A-238B-488A-81C8-81F03AB70159.jpeg FDD597AD-E500-4A7B-AD9C-7B6DE1651FBD.jpeg 6C7CECBC-2314-428A-9491-2105A8FE442A.jpeg

Reactions
Boyle’s Law? Gee, I’ll have to look that one up. You probably should too.

I was trying to have a productive discussion about brake mods and I’m still curious how clever the Ford system of brake proportioning Is. I completely missed that this “mod” is entirely about bling. Silly me.
1621100038253.jpeg

Explorer ST Posts