Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Turbo swap difficulty???

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
I have done all the work on my ST - minus the tuning... how difficult is the turbo swap? i did the fen fab charge piping - bov - CAi - mrt full exhaust - intercooler and lowered it all in my garage with the help of my 13y.o.

Basically it says these are direct drop ins.. has anyone upgraded these? I just want to make sure its not going to be anything like tying to upgrade your downpipes.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have not done them but I’m guessing just more stuff to take off to get to them. DPs are not fun for sure but I’m guessing everything is reasonably accessible on the turbos, just more stuff to remove.

Let us know how it goes! Might be on my list but not before transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
The service manual says to drop the engine approx 5 inches and remove one engine mount then raise the engine back up and reinstall the bottom subframe bolts, then replace the turbo on that side, replace the engine mount then repeat on the other side. I've never done it, You may want to subscribe to the online service manual, lots of components to remove. I've found most of the Service manual procedures difficult to follow because I don't have a lift.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Home/Pricing

1697511140407.png

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
PUT IT THIS WAY IF YOU DONT HAVE A LIFT DONT BOTHER. IT TOOK ME ALL DAY FOR BOTH TURBOS, SMOKE ON STARTUP ISSUES LOL.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
PUT IT THIS WAY IF YOU DONT HAVE A LIFT DONT BOTHER. IT TOOK ME ALL DAY FOR BOTH TURBOS, SMOKE ON STARTUP ISSUES LOL.
Was this another ST or your 2023?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So it appears to be a worse job than downpipes

OP
MacandCheeseST
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #7
Damn... So if you dont have a lift, dont do it....

But you are saying its possible... LOL -

Fords dealer = almost 3k to do the work - a performance shop in CT( where i live ) quoted me at 1400$ to the swap..

OP
MacandCheeseST
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #8

What were the smoke issues? Basically its just a big breakdown and work to be done from the bottom side?

OP
MacandCheeseST
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Thread Starter #9
I have not done them but I’m guessing just more stuff to take off to get to them. DPs are not fun for sure but I’m guessing everything is reasonably accessible on the turbos, just more stuff to remove.

Let us know how it goes! Might be on my list but not before transmission.

Contemplating it.. ill wait for some more feedback - but leaning towards doing it in the garage. tbd..lol

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
So it appears to be a worse job than downpipes

you need to hang the engine to do the turbo swap. that shop may not know what they are in for lol

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
Damn... So if you dont have a lift, dont do it....

But you are saying its possible... LOL -

Fords dealer = almost 3k to do the work - a performance shop in CT( where i live ) quoted me at 1400$ to the swap..
with a lift, a engine cradle to hang the engine, screw jacks, yea its possible

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
What were the smoke issues? Basically its just a big breakdown and work to be done from the bottom side?
yea its all underneath, but the cowl panel needs to be removed also to be able to access stuff in the back, its a pain.

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
it may vary by car but from what i saw in this particular car it was the turbo seals. its litteraly the same issues as the raptors so im pretty sure the turbos are the same in the explorer as the raptor.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I had the white smoke issue on cold starts that began to happen after 21K miles. It’s been at a Ford service department for two weeks now, getting it back today. They had to replace both turbos. Hopefully, that fixes the problem.