Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Turbo "fin" removal?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I came across a thread on FB for an ST group and someone asked about ways to make the stock turbos louder. One guy suggested removing the pipes connected to the turbos and taking out a plastic fin.

Figured I would ask here as we have more technical guys here; is this a thing? will you get a CEL or can other issues occur by doing this?

Thanks!

WFO-TSi

Reactions
Vehicle
Not Yet
Its a "thing". I've done it on 2 Ecoboosts and have never gotten a CEL from it or anything resembling an issue.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Removing them does nothing for loudness at all.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Changing the restriction of the OEM air filter in the intake may help, A different airbox may help, but if you want that Fast and Furious "Tsss tss", you're looking for a blowoff valve.
The OEM "Bypass valve" (or "recirc valve") pushes the bard-earned air charge back into the system, whereas the BOV vents the charge air to atmo and gives you that loud annoying sound.

OP
G
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Removing them does nothing for loudness at all.
Just the guy I was looking for! People said it makes the spooling noise more audible, but if you want max sound, BOV/Intake, right?

I currently put the UPR BOV adapter so it makes cute little "pttsshhhh" noises when you let off the throttle.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Just the guy I was looking for! People said it makes the spooling noise more audible, but if you want max sound, BOV/Intake, right?

I currently put the UPR BOV adapter so it makes cute little "pttsshhhh" noises when you let off the throttle.
The Fenfab intakes are what you're looking for if you want maximum noise, especially induction sound.

But be aware we're not talking crazy loud. I have the v2 and was personally expecting them to be louder.

Explorer ST Posts