Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Turbo failure or boost leak?

MechEng

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Looking for a little direction before I take this back into the shop. I'm getting a whistle (turbo? boost leak?) when I accelerate. It started on my way home from my kid's soccer practice. I was cruising, and I decided to "get on it" moments later I heard noise and loss power, but not into a limp mode, just not the same power as before. The noise happens around 1800rmp + when I am accelerating only, not when I rev the engine. I just had the driver side turbo replaced last Friday...ugh

Attachments

Reactions
Lebanon, I'm your neighbor! I live in Mason.

who replaced the turbo? Lebanon Ford? What other mods have you done? Good news is the drivers side of the engine bay isn't as congested as the passenger side. There are a number of small hoses that connect to the turbo suction and discharge pipes. It could be something as simple as they forgot to connect one. Also, check the connections on the blow off valve. You may need to go back to the dealer and have them look at it.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Makes sense it's related to the turbo install.

OP
M

MechEng

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Lebanon, I'm your neighbor! I live in Mason.

who replaced the turbo? Lebanon Ford? What other mods have you done? Good news is the drivers side of the engine bay isn't as congested as the passenger side. There are a number of small hoses that connect to the turbo suction and discharge pipes. It could be something as simple as they forgot to connect one. Also, check the connections on the blow off valve. You may need to go back to the dealer and have them look at it.
Hey! Right next door.
Lebanon Ford did it. I put a thermal cat back on Monday It's been running well since they replaced the turbo (Last Friday), well until last night. I looked over the hoses last night, I'll take another look today. Thanks.

Reactions
I agree with twin001, seems like a leak of sorts where you can hear the turbo whistle more and the loss of power associated with the air "boost" not going where it should go.

Reactions
I'm still waiting for my Thermal to ship!

I may have Lebanon Ford install my FenFab downpipes. I typically do everything myself, but the horror stories on the passenger side bolt have me thinking it's best someone else does it.

OP
M

MechEng

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Oh nice! I thought about waiting to put on downpipes with the exhaust, but I was tired of the flex pipes rattling. I've heard you need to drop the trans a bit to install the downpipes or it makes it easier.

Found the issue....all good now! Thanks ya'll

Attachments

Reactions
yep, that would do it! Now you don't have to waste time at the dealer!

I would double check all of the other hose clamps on each connection. Others could be loose but didn't come off because this one relieved the system pressure.