Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tuning "Before OR After" adding Bolt-On parts?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I am interested in a Performance tune for my new ST and other Bolt-on Performance parts, such as exhaust, intercooler, intake and downpipes. My goal is 500 WHP or more and able to 0-60 in 4 seconds or better and 12s in the 1/4. I have researched the forum and youtube to see if adding a Tune before any of the bolt-ons is a bad Idea? I understand that adding the bolt-on parts I listed does not require a tune. I am wondering if that matters and if I could benefit more from waiting to do the tune last? Or if I can start with a tune, like a ZFG 93 or E50 tune? I am new to the tune performance. I grew up with Carburetors. Just wondering what you guys have done and results.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
If you plan on doing a ZFG 93 tune at some point, add the bolt-on parts first. You will be asked what items you have added during the tune purchase process. Because Adam has done this many time, he already knows what parameters to add to the initial tune he sends to you based on your parts list. You will then do some data logging and send that back to ZFG for some tweaking. The final tune will surely get you where you want to be.

If you do the tune first and then add the parts, I would recommend going back to ZFG and letting them know so you can get the tune adjusted. This will cost you more in the long run.

Suggestion for you when it come to parts for a 93 tune. Intercooler, new air box and a new set of plugs. The exhaust will not add anything other than a better sound but the downpipes will help. I have done this, minus the downpipes, and have achieved what you are looking for.

OP
Midnight
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
What sort of plugs did you run? I have been told to go with colder plug, but never talked about specific plugs .

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
What sort of plugs did you run? I have been told to go with colder plug, but never talked about specific plugs .
I am using NGK 95605 Ruthenium Plugs per ZFG's recommendations. They are a colder plug.