Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Trouble with exhaust rattle

Reactions
Alright. So I've discovered that my Borla Atak mufflers are hitting against the bolt that holds up the heat shield right above them causing an annoying vibration. I've taken to 3 different shops to realign, move in/out up/down, etc. Still happening.
Anyone have a solution?
Is there any material I can use to put in between the mufflers and that pesky bolt like a pillow type cushion that's fired retardant?
Please help lol.
Tks.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Have the S-Type that had the same problem. Had them trim the studs and now they have plenty of clearance, somewhere in here there is a post where small silicone caps were put over the studs. My current problem though is not the studs but the large frame bolt near the rear end of the muffler. Temporarily I would stuff some aluminum foil in the gap (did that for the stud as well) to eliminate the rattle until I could decide a more permanent solution. My current solution for the bolt has been a piece of 1/8" thin silicone with an adhesive back that I stuck between the muffler and bolt head, hopefully it will hold up but I am afraid eventually it will eat through. Luckily I have a 12x12 sheet of the stuff.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Aluminum foil or silicone you say..
That might just work. Wonder how long it will hold up though.
Maybe for me cutting the studs is the solution.
Thanks for the feedback. I will try something out in hopes something will work.

Reactions
I had the same issue while installing the Borla ATAK. We just cut off the end of those little bolts to leave about a 1/4-1/2" gap. Just make sure to leave a little bit of thread.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I had the same issue while installing the Borla ATAK. We just cut off the end of those little bolts to leave about a 1/4-1/2" gap. Just make sure to leave a little bit of thread.
This is what I shall do, tks.