Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission Won't heat up

BBGun242

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
Anyone else experience their transmission not coming up to "normal" operating temp in the cold (<30°F). I can drive 40 miles down the highway and the transmission never comes up to normal operating temp. Looking for if anyone else has this experience or noticed, before i go back to the dealer that argued the rear axle click was from the wheel slipping on the brake rotors.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The thermostat could be stuck open…that would cause an extended warm up time for the trans.

OP
B

BBGun242

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #3
The thermostat could be stuck open…that would cause an extended warm up time for the trans.
I've thought the same, however above 30°F it warms up in under 10 miles. Just doesn't seem linear enough to be a stuck thermostat to me. Also I would think it would throw a code since the engine did that to me.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m not even sure if the transmission t-stat will throw a code if it sticks open like the engine t-stat will. How are you monitoring the trans fluid temp?

OP
B

BBGun242

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #5
It shows up under the tach in towing mode.

OP
B

BBGun242

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #6
I’m not even sure if the transmission t-stat will throw a code if it sticks open like the engine t-stat will. How are you monitoring the trans fluid temp?
Recently got a COBB AP. My trans never gets over 175°F during my normal driving. Typically runs about 165°F.

I've done some googling however I cannot find any actual part lists that call for a transmission thermostat.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Recently got a COBB AP. My trans never gets over 175°F during my normal driving. Typically runs about 165°F.

I've done some googling however I cannot find any actual part lists that call for a transmission thermostat.
Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Control Valve - Ford (DG9Z7H322A) DG9Z-7H322-A

Transmission Cooling - Overview

The transmission fluid cooling system consists of a heat exchanger mounted to the transmission. The heat exchanger has both transmission fluid and engine coolant flowing through it in separate chambers. When the transmission fluid is cooler than the engine coolant, the heat exchanger warms the transmission fluid. When the transmission fluid is warmer than the engine coolant, the heat exchanger cools the transmission fluid. A coolant control valve controls coolant flow to the transmission fluid cooler.

1712545123923.png

OP
B

BBGun242

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #9
Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Control Valve - Ford (DG9Z7H322A) DG9Z-7H322-A

Transmission Cooling - Overview

The transmission fluid cooling system consists of a heat exchanger mounted to the transmission. The heat exchanger has both transmission fluid and engine coolant flowing through it in separate chambers. When the transmission fluid is cooler than the engine coolant, the heat exchanger warms the transmission fluid. When the transmission fluid is warmer than the engine coolant, the heat exchanger cools the transmission fluid. A coolant control valve controls coolant flow to the transmission fluid cooler.

View attachment 22561
Thanks Wafer.

So watched the old coolant temp this morning too. Looks like my ST came with a 180 t-stat. Which based on what you provided seems culprit.

Explorer ST Posts