Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission whine

Reactions
Took my st in to get a whining sound checked out under hard acceleration, they're telling me this is normal.

It's quite loud, sounds exactly like a supercharger.

Anyone else experience this? Or is the dealer being lazy.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Reactions
I am experiencing the same thing going to address it to my dealer as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I am experiencing the same thing going to address it to my dealer as well

Let me know what they say, it could very well be normal with these transmissions, but it's so loud it definitely doesn't sound right.

I want to get a tune and some mods, but I'm worried about nuking my warranty if the dealer is bsing me and there's an issue with the tranny

Reactions
Let me know what they say, it could very well be normal with these transmissions, but it's so loud it definitely doesn't sound right.

I want to get a tune and some mods, but I'm worried about nuking my warranty if the dealer is bsing me and there's an issue with the tranny

Same here only mods so far is borla s type and spd downpipes I’m almost at 10k miles so after the service I planned on getting intercooler and tuneing it

Reactions
Any update on this? Can the folks who are facing this describe how the whine actually sounds? I have a noise as well but you have mentioned very loud, I would Not consider mine very loud so just wanted to get more clarity.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
It sounds exactly like a supercharger whine, very loud and noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Reactions
It sounds exactly like a supercharger whine, very loud and noticeable.

Thank you. I think I am confusing this with my different noise. I can only hear it if there is no traffic or even a single vehicle around me, no audio, and windows should be up so I think that is just the engine or turbo maybe. Thanks for clarifying.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
It comes and goes, but it's really noticeable under hard acceleration from a dead stop.

Reactions
Thanks blkst, mine is like when the transmission is changing gears like from 3rd to 4th and it has done changing that gear, it is like something is winding down like the engine revs are going down like when you blip your engine to a higher revs and it just winds down. And I think I am doing a terrible job explaining it. I think it might just be turbo even and normal, don't know. It is very faint feel kind of noise so I can't even take it to the dealer for them to take a look because I am sure they won't even hear it. And hardly happens on flat surface, it happens only on roads with little incline.

Reactions
Update - I think I have found out what it actually is

After extensive testing in isolated/quiet roads near my house (had to go do this in the night so there was no traffic).

1. First of all, to give a background, I generally baby my vehicles most of the time. I do open in up once in a while depending on the open road and my mood etc.
2. So I give very little gas when driving (because of my babying habit), which means that most of the initial gear shifts maybe upto 4th gear happens with the RPM less than 2000
3. Under the above conditions, I see that the engine is revving/increasing RPM to accommodate the gear change since it is too low (I can see the RPM go up and then down during the gear change). this automatic blip in RPM is the noise I hear which is basically the engine rev
4. So I decided to test it by driving like a normal human being and gave sufficient gas which made all the shifts at or over 2000 RPM, in this scenario, I do Not hear that noise (that hmmm kind of noise) so basically meaning that the engine has sufficient RPM to accommodate the gear shift without have to rev it any further.

I think this is what it is, if you have any insights from your end, I would really appreciate it.

hbalek

Reactions
Update - I think I have found out what it actually is

After extensive testing in isolated/quiet roads near my house (had to go do this in the night so there was no traffic).

1. First of all, to give a background, I generally baby my vehicles most of the time. I do open in up once in a while depending on the open road and my mood etc.
2. So I give very little gas when driving (because of my babying habit), which means that most of the initial gear shifts maybe upto 4th gear happens with the RPM less than 2000
3. Under the above conditions, I see that the engine is revving/increasing RPM to accommodate the gear change since it is too low (I can see the RPM go up and then down during the gear change). this automatic blip in RPM is the noise I hear which is basically the engine rev
4. So I decided to test it by driving like a normal human being and gave sufficient gas which made all the shifts at or over 2000 RPM, in this scenario, I do Not hear that noise (that hmmm kind of noise) so basically meaning that the engine has sufficient RPM to accommodate the gear shift without have to rev it any further.

I think this is what it is, if you have any insights from your end, I would really appreciate it.
I've noticed that if you're too light on the gas pedal from a stop, it actually shifts rougher than if you put some gas into it.

Reactions

MonkeysWashingCats

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Same here only mods so far is borla s type and spd downpipes I’m almost at 10k miles so after the service I planned on getting intercooler and tuneing it

Just curious here but I have the S-type installed on my truck and I was wondering how much louder the SPD Downpipes increased your exhaust noise. Is it louder at idle or mostly at wide open throttle?

Zim

Reactions
No idea what you’re talking about lol