Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission Throttle Blip

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
That is exactly what it is doing. How does one fix the turbo lag? programmer-Tuner?
The only way to prevent turbo lag is to keep the RPM’s above the boost threshold. Try googling “Turbo Lag” to get a better understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Maybe that studder is the transmission shifting into a lower gear. I know eco and normal mode has a very noticeable lag when I step on it. Sport mode alleviates that problem.
From what the OP described, the transmission should not take that long to down shift. It should be in the appropriate gear coming out of the corner before hitting the throttle. I believe Sport mode will drop it to a lower gear than Eco or Normal will.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
From what the OP described, the transmission should not take that long to down shift. It should be in the appropriate gear coming out of the corner before hitting the throttle. I believe Sport mode will drop it to a lower gear than Eco or Normal will.

Yes sport mode always hold the gears in between 2-3k rpm, right in the torque curve. I know so was just stating that a 1-2 second delay is how long ours takes to downshift in normal/eco mode.

StevieB

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
The only way to prevent turbo lag is to keep the RPM’s above the boost threshold. Try googling “Turbo Lag” to get a better understanding.

Thank you - I was hoping there was a programmer that would bridge the gap. my 2015 3.5 ECO Explorer Sport never had this issue. I am guessing its a transmission to engine issue.
Since there are no codes the Ford service cannot help.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My 2020 has this throttle blip basically every time it’s in 1-2. Really it’s more of a dead pedal than a blip. It happened with the factory and FP tune. I’m disappointed to hear that the folks still have it with ZFG tunes, which was my last hope on this matter.

StevieB

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
My 2020 has this throttle blip basically every time it’s in 1-2. Really it’s more of a dead pedal than a blip. It happened with the factory and FP tune. I’m disappointed to hear that the folks still have it with ZFG tunes, which was my last hope on this matter.
What is the dealer saying to you? My 2 dealers are telling me it’s me and the way I am driving the vehicle- and told me ford canada has nothing for a fix and to “stop searching for a problem that isn’t there”.
My last ditch attempt(s) before trading it off.
I have changed spark plugs to NGK- did nothing to fix but now I have a great plug in there- reflashed the TCU at the dealer and was told to drive it like a “granny” which I was always told drive it the way you want it to learn how you drive, it has seemed to gotten a bit better but still shows up at the worst times - merging into a busy traffic.
Next step and last step is going to replace the throttle position sensor- I will report findings.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Despite the difficult of diagnosing others' interpretations of "blip", "studder", and "dead pedal", here is my take: @BrooseDaMoose is not far off about turbo lag. The fact is that the ST uses vacuum wastegates. This allows the ECU to open the gates at anytime it deems necessary. So, if you get off the throttle, the wastegates open, decreasing the turbine speed to increase mileage and eliminate compressor surge. If you get back onto it again, the wastegates close, but it takes a bit of time to build turbine speed/boost again. Since the ECU doesn't know what you intend to do, the algorithm will sometimes result in this behavior depending on the mode etc.

Remember, the accelerator is not directly connected to the throttle body, it's completely controlled by the ECU. Attempts to fix this by changing spark plugs or the TPS are not going to eliminate the issue.

StevieB

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Despite the difficult of diagnosing others' interpretations of "blip", "studder", and "dead pedal", here is my take: @BrooseDaMoose is not far off about turbo lag. The fact is that the ST uses vacuum wastegates. This allows the ECU to open the gates at anytime it deems necessary. So, if you get off the throttle, the wastegates open, decreasing the turbine speed to increase mileage and eliminate compressor surge. If you get back onto it again, the wastegates close, but it takes a bit of time to build turbine speed/boost again. Since the ECU doesn't know what you intend to do, the algorithm will sometimes result in this behavior depending on the mode etc.

Remember, the accelerator is not directly connected to the throttle body, it's completely controlled by the ECU. Attempts to fix this by changing spark plugs or the TPS are not going to eliminate the issue.

StevieB

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thank you for helping “dumb” it down for me. I do appreciate it.
is there anything that can smarten this unit up? Or do I have to relearn how to drive this unit?
I love it when it’s behaving- absolutely hate it when it’s lagging when I need it. Almost caused me to get into 2 accidents.
Thank you again and any help would be awesome.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I haven’t spoken with the dealer. Just kinda assuming that I’ll live with it. Also assumed that the ZFG tune would help with this but disappointed to see that not to be true.

by the way, I’ve noticed something similar in a 2018 Outback and 2019 Highlander. I was surprised

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I absolutely hate this aspect of driving my '20 ST....the dead pedal in slow/residential areas. then it will lurch forward when it realizes "yes, I still want to keep driving..." [sigh].

How can I reset the transmission's learning/algorithm? I was going to get the FP tune, will that flash everything new? Once I do get it rebaselined, what's the best driving style so it learns better?

thanks!

StevieB

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I have had the TCU flashed back to “stock” but has not changed anything. I have escalated it up the chain but have not been booked for any service yet. Once I get it in and see if they can do anything about it or not. I will post on anything new.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How can I reset the transmission's learning/algorithm? I was going to get the FP tune, will that flash everything new? !
the FP tune will reset the KAM, but it won’t solve the dead pedal situation. The dealership flashed my PCM a while ago with the newest shift strategy, and I gotta tell you, it was buttery smooth. It was stupid of me to flash back to the FP tune. Go to the dealership and ask for the newest PCM flash or whatever it’s called.

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
the FP tune will reset the KAM, but it won’t solve the dead pedal situation. The dealership flashed my PCM a while ago with the newest shift strategy, and I gotta tell you, it was buttery smooth. It was stupid of me to flash back to the FP tune. Go to the dealership and ask for the newest PCM flash or whatever it’s called.
thanks for this! Can't wait to try it. I did want to get the FP tune, so should I get that first, then the PCM flash, or get the PCM, then the FP Tune? OR...does the FP tune wipe out whatever the PCM flash does?? While I'd love more fun performance, I want the dead pedal fixed more than that! Appreciate the guidance!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
thanks for this! Can't wait to try it. I did want to get the FP tune, so should I get that first, then the PCM flash, or get the PCM, then the FP Tune? OR...does the FP tune wipe out whatever the PCM flash does?? While I'd love more fun performance, I want the dead pedal fixed more than that! Appreciate the guidance!
I don’t know anything but my understanding is that it’s one or the other — factory tune or FP tune, both of which have their own transmission strategy. Again, I don’t know anything, but I say go to the dealer first and tell them what’s going on and ask for a PCM flash and not just a KAM reset (adaptive transmission). I had the AWD module go bad on me and they replaced it along with an “FDRS reset” or something like that. Just talk to the service advisor

StevieB

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I had the flash done at the dealer in hopes that it may smarten it up some. I am unfortunately to far away from anyone who does mapping and 4 wheel dyno.

Explorer ST Posts