Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission Issues?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
While on the highway and in sport mode, the ST will randomly hold a gear (not sure what gear) and just rev. It will not upshift on its own and will only downshift on its own after coasting for awhile.

It has happened to me and the wife once each. Could the fluid be low? I would prefer to avoid a dealership trip if I can as this is our only transpo.

its a 2022 with 2700 miles on it. Just started this week.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
The trans tuning in sport mode is meant to be aggressive and will do this sometimes. If you had a transmission fluid issue the trans would be affected in all driving modes but it certainly does not hurt to check the fluid but you are going to have to get under the vehicle to do so. Do a search here for the procedure.

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
The trans tuning in sport mode is meant to be aggressive and will do this sometimes. If you had a transmission fluid issue the trans would be affected in all driving modes but it certainly does not hurt to check the fluid but you are going to have to get under the vehicle to do so. Do a search here for the procedure.
Thanks, We pretty much only drive is sport mode so I will have to run normal and see if it still happens.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
What you are describing is Sport mode. It will hold gears a lot longer than Normal and Eco. Perfectly fine.

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
What you are describing is Sport mode. It will hold gears a lot longer than Normal and Eco. Perfectly fine.
Def not just sport mode. If I had to guess I was in 4-5th and it would not upshift, even with gas pedal floored.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Def not just sport mode. If I had to guess I was in 4-5th and it would not upshift, even with gas pedal floored.
Okay, your confusing me a bit, is it not downshifting or upshifting?

Downshifting=Shifting into a higher gears to making engine speeds higher for more power

Upshifting=Shifting into lower gears to make engine speeds lower for better gas mileage

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Okay, your confusing me a bit, is it not downshifting or upshifting?

Downshifting=Shifting into a higher gears to making engine speeds higher for more power

Upshifting=Shifting into lower gears to make engine speeds lower for better gas mileage
Sorry, I have always called downshift ie... going 4 to 3, for higher rpms ect.

To explain it better, lets say I was in 4th. It would not shift to 5 with full pedal and just revved out, and would not go back down to 3rd while sitting at 5-6k RPM for about 200 yards.

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Sport mode hangs dude. It annoys me because it doesn't always do it. Though it really likes to stay in 4th gear.

Just slap the right paddle shifter a few times and drive normally. It will drop back into auto mode on its own. The only way you will get better shifting is with a tune.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I sometimes do not understand some of these posts. Someone likes "sport mode" because it delays shifts, holds gears longer, and provides faster accelerator modulation. I get it, it's more fun. However, it's a friggin' algorithm, handled by software. It's not a mind reader, and therefore it's never going to be perfect for anyone. It has no way of figuring out what you want it to do when it's behavior is programmed to be performance oriented for the masses.

For those who haven't tried it, and want your ST to perform exactly how they want, do this. Put it in "sport mode", and hit the "manual" button. Now you have complete control over how it behaves, rather than just thinking it "should have" done X.

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Sorry, I have always called downshift ie... going 4 to 3, for higher rpms ect.

To explain it better, lets say I was in 4th. It would not shift to 5 with full pedal and just revved out, and would not go back down to 3rd while sitting at 5-6k RPM for about 200 yards.
Ok, you're using the right teeminology, it was me getting confused. Sorry.

Alright, so now I got it. This is normal. When you fully accelerate it will downshifts to 5-6k RPM.. When you let off the gas, it'll still hold that gear, because it is thinking you still might accelerate. When you slightly press the gas pedal so that you can cruise, it'll start to upshifts.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
While on the highway and in sport mode, the ST will randomly hold a gear (not sure what gear) and just rev. It will not upshift on its own and will only downshift on its own after coasting for awhile.

It has happened to me and the wife once each. Could the fluid be low? I would prefer to avoid a dealership trip if I can as this is our only transpo.

its a 2022 with 2700 miles on it. Just started this week.
Accelerating out of a turn ours will hang in 3rd gear so I just hit the right paddle and keep going. It's definately only in sport mode so it's unlikely a fluid level issue, also once you hit the paddle you'll see what gear it's in on the cluster. Cool feature!

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Kind of off topic but I always found tow haul mode to be better for everyday driving. Much more responsive than normal mode but not as touchy as sport mode and a good balance shifting wise between normal and sport mode.

hbalek

Reactions
Kind of off topic but I always found tow haul mode to be better for everyday driving. Much more responsive than normal mode but not as touchy as sport mode and a good balance shifting wise between normal and sport mode.
Weird I never tried that mode intentionally but have accidentally briefly engaged tow/haul mode. I will try it.