Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission help

t_fiki

U.S. Army Veteran
EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a 2020 ST, was driving it the other day and heard a grinding noise almost as if the car had kicked out of gear and was trying to get back into gear was still able to drive and shift fine. After I came to a stop and turned the vehicle off, the vehicle would turn back on however it said park was unavailable. The car would still shift from park to reverse to neutral to drive however would not move when the accelerator was applied. I tried to have the vehicle towed, but the rear tires drug and the front tires spun freely is currently at the dealership, but was wondering if anybody had any similar experience or any suggestions the dealership said it could be a week to diagnose.

hbalek

Reactions
I have a 2020 ST, was driving it the other day and heard a grinding noise almost as if the car had kicked out of gear and was trying to get back into gear was still able to drive and shift fine. After I came to a stop and turned the vehicle off, the vehicle would turn back on however it said park was unavailable. The car would still shift from park to reverse to neutral to drive however would not move when the accelerator was applied. I tried to have the vehicle towed, but the rear tires drug and the front tires spun freely is currently at the dealership, but was wondering if anybody had any similar experience or any suggestions the dealership said it could be a week to diagnose.
Whatever it is it sounds serious like a failed transmission. 2020's are known for that. Mine was rebuilt at about 25K miles. I still have 9K left on powertrain and bought an extended full PremiumCare warranty from Ford until 85K miles or 84 months. I hope you still have powertrain warranty which should 100% cover it! The last part is the good news! Your tow truck profile pic tugged at my heartstrings! Mine was towed once when the fuel pump failed at 11K miles or almost 1 year old and another time for a flat because the tow truck driver didn't know how to put the spare on!

Last edited:

Explorer ST Posts