Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission Fluid Level Check

Reactions
Is there a simple way to check the fluid level of the transmission? I did a google search and didn't find much on the new 2020+, but the one thing I did find showed to check the fluid you have to be under the vehicle.

Reactions
There is no dipstick, your finding is the first I have heard we could check it ourselves. Where exactly can we check the level under the vehicle?

Reactions
I am pretty sure this is the dip stick, I can see a ton of frustration and maybe even a rounded off head or two if people try and check their fluid level...

1622493943323.png
1622494075080.png

Reactions
That looks a lot like a crack in that casting, might want to have a closer look?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The "ball-sack" dipstick tube. Is that a stress crack to the left in the first pic?

Reactions
Yeah I didn't notice the crack when I took the pic..... I wonder if they over torqued the dipstick when they put it in.

I guess I can call the dealer and see what they say, I have a feeling their response will be if it isn't leaking don't worry about it....

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
If that is the dipstick, that's just horrible. The reason I wanted to check is because of the behavior of the transmission after the tune I have. I contacted them about the feeling of the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts feeling like they are lurching into gear, and they suggested checking the fluid level as they have seen lots of F150's not having the correct level from the factory. But not sure I'll be attempting to check the level on this thing! why make it so hard to check the fluid level? :unsure:

Reactions
If that is the dipstick, that's just horrible. The reason I wanted to check is because of the behavior of the transmission after the tune I have. I contacted them about the feeling of the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts feeling like they are lurching into gear, and they suggested checking the fluid level as they have seen lots of F150's not having the correct level from the factory. But not sure I'll be attempting to check the level on this thing! why make it so hard to check the fluid level? :unsure:
I didn't see anything else that was close in the area of the posted image, the cooler is in the way so it could be behind the cooler.... I am pretty sure what I found is the dipstick

1622496478578.png

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Here is a short video showing it. Looks like your at the right spot.

Reactions
I didn't see anything else that was close in the area of the posted image, the cooler is in the way so it could be behind the cooler.... I am pretty sure what I found is the dipstick

View attachment 6060
Yes, what you found is the cap to the dipstick. Take the silver cap off (19mm I think) and there is a plastic dipstick under it.

Reactions
I wont be touching it until I talk to the dealer about that crack on the boss for the dipstick. I am assuming it will be replaced under warranty, will be interesting to see how long it takes for the new transmission housing to come in.

Reactions
Update

That is a very well molded heat shield where the crack is, I am taking it in tomorrow to have them check to make sure nothing is going on behind it but the trans should be fine.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Here is a short video showing it. Looks like your at the right spot.
Finally had a chance to watch the video and I don't think this is something that would be easy or possible to check without a lift, esp since the vehicle needs to be running as well.