Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission / Driveline Vibration Issue 2022 Ford Explorer ST

CTTFordEx

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hello,

Has anyone experienced an issue with their Ford Exp ST 2022 where after shirting into drive at low speed (below 5mph) you can feel a vibration in the transmission almost feels like the engine idle is low or the clutch is not disengaging properly. I also feel this vibration when decelerating from 40mph to zero and as the transmission downshifts I can feel vibration in the brake pedal and feel a stutter. If I put the transmission in neutral as I decelerate, I feel no vibration. If I put the transmission in manual I can feel the vibration less, it primarily happens between gears 3-6.

It's driving me crazy. The car has 33,000 miles on it and the recent service or updating the transmission shift points did not address the problem.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
There are a couple threads on here about something that seems to be similar. I've been waiting to post on the other thread I was reading through following other members issues and 'remedies'. Finally got a tech to drive with me and feel the problem.

Mine is deff the worst in 6th. For some reason around 40mph and under it shutters like crazy on deceleration. Not acceleration or sitting still...only when slowing down or cruising at neighborhood speeds 25-30mph. Gets progressively worse the longer I drive. He didn't believe me until we started heading back to the shop. I live 5 minutes from dealership and was fine the entire drive there. Then after about 10 minutes of driving around at slow speeds it acted up the entire way back and we noticed that it was always in 6th at slow speeds.

Scheduling follow up for them to do diagnostics while he researches the TSB's and sees if anyone is seeing similar issues. Dealer has been great to me so far.

OP
C

CTTFordEx

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Chamorro85, be interested to learn what they try to fix it. I think its the same problem. When I change my transmission to manual, to determine which gear it happens in, I always see M5 which means the shutter happened in M6 and then downshifted to M5.

The problem I have also appears only on decel and also between 25-33 mph. As the car warms up, I feel it more and more. Let me know of any ways you described it to the service folks to help pinpoint a service procedure to fix it.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Thanks Chamorro85, be interested to learn what they try to fix it. I think its the same problem. When I change my transmission to manual, to determine which gear it happens in, I always see M5 which means the shutter happened in M6 and then downshifted to M5.

The problem I have also appears only on decel and also between 25-33 mph. As the car warms up, I feel it more and more. Let me know of any ways you described it to the service folks to help pinpoint a service procedure to fix it.
Yeah, same for me. Same gear!

I feel like it's the exact same thing. Longer I drive the worse it gets. Today was strange because I put it in Sport to drive around after it got bad. Then the shuttering went away. Felt it very minimal on a couple down shifts but for a split second. Which I could live with. But the shuttering constantly like I had vibrating seats is ridiculous. Great to get some validation.

I'll be sure to keep you in the loop.

Reactions
2022 here. 11k miles. Same issue.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I am a little over 31K and it feels like the engine is too low in rpms/too high of a gear at certain times. Going to try Forscan to clear transmission adaptations and reset the PCM as stated in another thread.

OP
C

CTTFordEx

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I am a little over 31K and it feels like the engine is too low in rpms/too high of a gear at certain times. Going to try Forscan to clear transmission adaptations and reset the PCM as stated in another thread.
Thanks, can you add the thread or link to the Forscan solution? Does the dealer do that?

OP
C

CTTFordEx

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
I think I have figured it out. If you have the ability to use the paddle shifters on your steering wheel when you start to decelerate, use the manual mode and shift the gears as you decelerate. When I use the manual mode and down shifted from gear to gear I felt no vibration. I believe the issue that we are all talking about is that the automatic transmission chooses the wrong gear and because it is in a higher gear than it should be we are feeling the stutter of the transmission because it selected a higher gear and not a lower gear with higher RPM. When I did this multiple times down shifting manually to the proper gear ratio the vibration was not present the RPMs were higher, but the vibration was not felt. Seems to me that this could be a calibration issue. Hopefully the dealer will be able to fix it.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I think I have figured it out. If you have the ability to use the paddle shifters on your steering wheel when you start to decelerate, use the manual mode and shift the gears as you decelerate. When I use the manual mode and down shifted from gear to gear I felt no vibration. I believe the issue that we are all talking about is that the automatic transmission chooses the wrong gear and because it is in a higher gear than it should be we are feeling the stutter of the transmission because it selected a higher gear and not a lower gear with higher RPM. When I did this multiple times down shifting manually to the proper gear ratio the vibration was not present the RPMs were higher, but the vibration was not felt. Seems to me that this could be a calibration issue. Hopefully the dealer will be able to fix it.
That was the same process I went through when the tech drove with me. We popped into manual and were able to mitigate the vibrations. Just weird that it would get worse over time and the 'smart' vehicle gets dummer with gear selection lol.

Reactions
Keeping the RPM’s up above 2k on downshifts does help to smooth things out when in motion, but I’ve definitely felt the same rough vibration on startup in park too. Even if the engine is in the suspect ~1150-1300ish RPM range, it shouldn’t be transferring vibration like that to the cabin. I hope Ford can provide some sort of fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Reactions
Scheduling follow up for them to do diagnostics while he researches the TSB's and sees if anyone is seeing similar issues. Dealer has been great to me so far.
Any follow-up from your dealer? I'm about ready to take mine in - it's driving me nuts.

Reactions
H
Yeah, same for me. Same gear!

I feel like it's the exact same thing. Longer I drive the worse it gets. Today was strange because I put it in Sport to drive around after it got bad. Then the shuttering went away. Felt it very minimal on a couple down shifts but for a split second. Which I could live with. But the shuttering constantly like I had vibrating seats is ridiculous. Great to get some validation.

I'll be sure to keep you in the loop.
Have anyone had the brace replace by the recall, because at very low speed I feel vibration like it's in a higher gear than it's should be in.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Mine should get the recall done end of this month. Can anyone confirm it fixed vibration issues for them? Permanently? Or any other fix?

Reactions
Mine should get the recall done end of this month. Can anyone confirm it fixed vibration issues for them? Permanently? Or any other fix?
The rear bolt recall?

Not sure that would be related, at least not with mine. I can hold the RPMs at 1150-1250 in park/neutral and feel the vibration. It's noticeable anytime the engine hits that range (cold starts, driving, downshifts, etc.).

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Ah
The rear bolt recall?

Not sure that would be related, at least not with mine. I can hold the RPMs at 1150-1250 in park/neutral and feel the vibration. It's noticeable anytime the engine hits that range (cold starts, driving, downshifts, etc.).
Ok, for mine its only when driving at certain speeds.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
My Explorer has a similar issue. A vibration occurs at 1200 - 1500 rpm. This is the standard rpm range as the transmission downshifts while decelerating. In neutral, feathering throttle around this rpm range creates the vibration. First attempt by dealership involved replacing motor mounts…no success. Second attempt was replacing the engine…no success. Thru unfortunate process of elimination, it is scheduled to have the flywheel and torque converter replaced. I believe the torque converter really is the culprit. I’ll provide an update within the next week. It might be a change of topic to the Ford lemon BuyBack process!!!

The rear bolt recall?

Reactions
My Explorer has a similar issue. A vibration occurs at 1200 - 1500 rpm. This is the standard rpm range as the transmission downshifts while decelerating. In neutral, feathering throttle around this rpm range creates the vibration. First attempt by dealership involved replacing motor mounts…no success. Second attempt was replacing the engine…no success. Thru unfortunate process of elimination, it is scheduled to have the flywheel and torque converter replaced. I believe the torque converter really is the culprit. I’ll provide an update within the next week. It might be a change of topic to the Ford lemon BuyBack process!!!
Thanks for the update and good luck with the repair. Keep us posted with whether or not it solves the issue. Fingers crossed you get to the bottom of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions
I just laid down next to the car on a cold start. You can definitely visually see (and feel) the drivers' side exhaust vibrating when it settles into the suspect 1200ish RPM range.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Mine does the same thing, driver side exhaust shakes around 1500rpm…more of a symptom than the root cause. I’ll keep you posted once the torque converter is replaced next week. Hang in there, it’s very frustrating!