Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission disengages like it's in neutral at high way speeds

Reactions
This started happening to me this past Saturday. I was driving on the interstate at 80 mph and my transmission seemed to disengage. Likes it's in neutral. Pressing accelerator just revs the engine. Had to pull off road, stop, put in park then in drive and it was fine. It has done it 5 more times since last Saturday.

Before it happens the drive indicator, D on the dash starts flashing. Then it disengages and a Check Manual message with a wrench shows on the the dash. When I pull off road and put in park, a wrench is showing on the dash and I get several beeps.

I'm going to take to dealer in the morning. To me, this is a safety issue. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks.

Reactions
No problems here, but please keep us posted.

OP
adp2020ST
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Took to dealer this morning. Said it would probably be next week before they could look at it and they had no loaner vehicles available. I couldn't leave it that long so I just left and will make an appt for later this month. We'll see.

Reactions
I am so sorry you're having issues. It truly sucks when you've payed 60k plus for a vehicle that doesn't work right. Again, please keep us updated.

OP
adp2020ST
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
So, Monday, 8/23, I headed out of town. Transmission started acting up immediately. Only made about 20 miles. Finally had to turn around and go back home. Took a while since I had to pull over several times and put in Park and then back in Drive. Left home to take to dealer. Did it 3 times in 20 miles. Got to dealer and left vehicle. Had to rent a car. Have not heard from dealer yet. To be continued.....

OP
adp2020ST
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I am so sorry you're having issues. It truly sucks when you've payed 60k plus for a vehicle that doesn't work right. Again, please keep us updated.
Exactly! That's what my wife said. So now I get to drive a Hyundai Elantra that I rented Joy!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So, Monday, 8/23, I headed out of town. Transmission started acting up immediately. Only made about 20 miles. Finally had to turn around and go back home. Took a while since I had to pull over several times and put in Park and then back in Drive. Left home to take to dealer. Did it 3 times in 20 miles. Got to dealer and left vehicle. Had to rent a car. Have not heard from dealer yet. To be continued.....
You may want to contact Ford Customer Care. They approved a loaner for me (technically they reimbursed me for my rental) when mine was in the shop for a week or so.

OP
adp2020ST
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
You may want to contact Ford Customer Care. They approved a loaner for me (technically they reimbursed me for my rental) when mine was in the shop for a week or so.
Thanks I will.

Will have been in shop for 2 weeks Monday. They said it a wiring issue and are trying to track it down.

OP
adp2020ST
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Got it back this past Wednesday. It was in shop for 16 days! They said they just finally started updating different modules and something hit and that seemed to fix it. Been okay since then. We'll see......

OP
adp2020ST
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Contacted them. They said if I sent in my rental car receipt they would send me a gift card. Sent it to them tonight so we will see....

Thanks for the heads up on that!