Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission build date

Talon140

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I got a 2020 ST and on the way home found out it had the harsh 7/6 downshift that caused the trans to explode 2 weeks later. I put in a new transmission but I want to make sure that won't happen again. Does anyone know how or where to check the build date of the trans? I haven't been able to find anything after a couple hours of research.

Madisonville ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Welcome to the forum.

hbalek

Reactions
I got a 2020 ST and on the way home found out it had the harsh 7/6 downshift that caused the trans to explode 2 weeks later. I put in a new transmission but I want to make sure that won't happen again. Does anyone know how or where to check the build date of the trans? I haven't been able to find anything after a couple hours of research.
Mine had this problem at about 25K miles and now at almost 49,000 miles, so far so good. The problem has not recurred. My transmission was rebuilt not replaced.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
It won’t matter the rebuild date since it is the exact same transmission. Welcome!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Was the trans new, rebuilt, or salvage yard? I would only worry if it were salvage yard and even then, not all the transmissions built during that time period were affected.