Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tramlining; weird issue.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #22

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Dealer just called, said the rear-driver axle they installed last week was misaligned.
No idea what they are telling you here. The axle itself is a "one end at point A, and the other end is at point B" layout. I'd like to really know what they did. Did they have the differential out?

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #24
So I was curious about that too. Again, I'm not knowledgeable on axle issues, but since yesterday I have been reading articles on axles being misaligned. Wondering if the tech simply left something out or untightened. My service advisor did say it was dangerous to drive that way.

Eh69758

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Yeah I would really love to know as well. I doubt a tech would proffer up any real information that would implicate fault. But at the very least I now have some knowledge to go and talk to a tech about my issue. I know this platform is bad with axels and cv joints.

MIBuckeye

Reactions
Thanks for posting this. I've been experiencing this same exact thing for a few months now. Lease up in two months. Was going to buy out the lease but now am leaning toward a 25. Why was the axle removed in the first place?

F=MA

Reactions
I should add, I'm well outside of my automotive knowledge here...are there other issues that could've caused the initial axle failure or their initial misalignment? With nearly $2k of new tires on the car, and only 60 miles of bumper-to-bumper left, I want to know what to ask about when I go in to get it.
Ask them "How much trade-in value can you give me?"

Eh69758

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I’m not holding out hope for a dealership to figure this out. It sat for two days there and no one even moved it.

MIBuckeye

Reactions
Any update on this? Mine is just getting worse. Don't exactly understand the "axle" alignment either. Doesn't seem to make sense with the rear setup as it is.

Eh69758

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
So from my experience I’ve had a Ford tech drive my car. A mechanic I know and trust drive it and my father that was a mechanic drive and they all say it drives fine. They see what I’m saying but attribute it to just normal tramming. I’m unhappy with that. But I’m also wondering if I just don’t know what a 4600lb suv feels like on a truck body. I’ve driven multiple cars and suvs. But I’ve never had one that drives this bad. Trust could be a Ford thing. Or it could be a big suv thing. But it all makes me wonder all the other people with similar mods what they really think about the way it drives or is it their experience and what else they have driven that makes them think it’s fine. I don’t know.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
So from my experience I’ve had a Ford tech drive my car. A mechanic I know and trust drive it and my father that was a mechanic drive and they all say it drives fine. They see what I’m saying but attribute it to just normal tramming. I’m unhappy with that. But I’m also wondering if I just don’t know what a 4600lb suv feels like on a truck body. I’ve driven multiple cars and suvs. But I’ve never had one that drives this bad. Trust could be a Ford thing. Or it could be a big suv thing. But it all makes me wonder all the other people with similar mods what they really think about the way it drives or is it their experience and what else they have driven that makes them think it’s fine. I don’t know.
What size tires/rims do you have?

Eh69758

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
What size tires/rims do you have?
Stock 21 and 295 conti. But to be fair it did it with the stock 275. It’s relatively the same feeling.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The Explorer really isn't a big SUV. It's kind of like a big car. I will admit the ride is a bit truckish stock but the handling should not be squirrelly. And all the mods out there only benefit the handling and ride. Maybe one of your shocks/struts is blown. leaking rear shocks are relatively common.

Eh69758

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
The Explorer really isn't a big SUV. It's kind of like a big car. I will admit the ride is a bit truckish stock but the handling should not be squirrelly. And all the mods out there only benefit the handling and ride. Maybe one of your shocks/struts is blown. leaking rear shocks are relatively common.
I’ve checked over them and they don’t look too be leaking or have any damage. So far from my experience every mod I have done to this car has made it worse. I’m going to upgrade everything to a coil over soon but I’m holding out to see if all the talk about bc racing or another company making a set is true. Either way if that fix’s my problem it’s a win and if it doesn’t then I know this I s just the way it is.

ST_773

Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
I have owned my ST for 6 months and around 4 months ago, I had intercooler, Eibach Pro kit, Flowmaster Exhaust installed. Exactly what you have described above is the issues I have . Driving a normal road with no bumps , no big deal . If there are decent bumps or potholes , the car seams loose and bounces. Some rain it seams to drive like crap even with brand new Michelin . Glad I haven’t gone down the rabbit hole of throwing the ends , away bar at this issue . But I haven’t found many post regarding this so not sure if it specific to this lowering spring, will have the vehicle alignment checked by a different shop .

Eh69758

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I think it’s just this car. Sucks lowered. I’m going to try coil overs. See if that helps but I’m not sure it’s going to get any better

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #37
No idea what they are telling you here. The axle itself is a "one end at point A, and the other end is at point B" layout. I'd like to really know what they did. Did they have the differential out?
Sorry, didn't realize I had replies here. I'm curious now too. After a month of the car feeling great, I'm starting to get some sway again. I have a few issues for the dealer do I'll stop in this week and ask about what they did.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #38
Thanks for posting this. I've been experiencing this same exact thing for a few months now. Lease up in two months. Was going to buy out the lease but now am leaning toward a 25. Why was the axle removed in the first place?
Old axle was bad...you coikd here it crack when switching from park to drive.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Stock 21 and 295 conti. But to be fair it did it with the stock 275. It’s relatively the same feeling.
What are the full tire specs?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Old axle was bad...you coikd here it crack when switching from park to drive.
That doesn't mean it's bad. It is the well known metallic "tink" sound and the fix is to lube the axle splines. Early on, dealers were replacing the axle but that should not be the solution anymore.