Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Trailer package 52t

Howie

Reactions
Vehicle
2021explorer
So we are trying to find the best( for us ) cpo we can and thought all the ST s came with 52t tow package ,and a class3 receiver . however I’m seeing some with class 4 listed on original sticker ? What am I missing ,was there a heavier rated package ?

Reactions
Based on the towing guides, 2020-21 were class III, 2022-23 are class IV. Same 5600 pound tow limit though.

OP
H

Howie

Reactions
Vehicle
2021explorer
Thread Starter #4
OP
H

Howie

Reactions
Vehicle
2021explorer
Thread Starter #5
Thank you I was so down the rabbit hole searching i missed it was year dependent ,

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Ford should have used rev numbers, like 52.3T for the class 3 tow package, then 52.4T for the class 4 package.

OP
H

Howie

Reactions
Vehicle
2021explorer
Thread Starter #7
Ok so I was thinking if I wanted a little stronger receiver I could swap parts but they seem identical? And then I came across the aviator parts and they show a rating of 6700 tow capacity. with same parts ? I dont want to pull an excess load ,but I do want solid weight transfer when using a w/d hitch .any thoughts?

Reactions
Ok so I was thinking if I wanted a little stronger receiver I could swap parts but they seem identical? And then I came across the aviator parts and they show a rating of 6700 tow capacity. with same parts ? I don' want to pull an excess load ,but I do want solid weight transfer when using a w/d hitch .any thoughts?
Tow capacity is based on more than just the hitch (engine, wheels, brakes, suspension, frame, transmission, oil cooler, etc.). So the Aviator has something beefier elsewhere than can handle an additional 1,000 pounds. I pull my 5,000 pound travel trailer with a weight distributing/anti-sway hitch, and besides putting my gas mileage in the single digits it does so pretty well.

OP
H

Howie

Reactions
Vehicle
2021explorer
Thread Starter #9
Tow capacity is based on more than just the hitch (engine, wheels, brakes, suspension, frame, transmission, oil cooler, etc.). So the Aviator has something beefier elsewhere than can handle an additional 1,000 pounds. I pull my 5,000 pound travel trailer with a weight distributing/anti-sway hitch, and besides putting my gas mileage in the single digits it does so pretty well.
Thanks for that reply,yes I’m with you that tow rating is a big picture spec. I’m just wondering because so much of these suvs share running gear where did they get that extra capacity ? Is there some secret sauce,or are they flexible with numbers for marketing?

Reactions
Thanks for that reply,yes I’m with you that tow rating is a big picture spec. I’m just wondering because so much of these suvs share running gear where did they get that extra capacity ? Is there some secret sauce,or are they flexible with numbers for marketing?
Without knowing and matching every single component, I can only speculate. I think the Aviators have air suspension(?), that alone could be the difference. It looks like the Aviator was bumped down to 5600 pounds as well starting with the 2022s, adding further confusion.

Explorer ST Posts