Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Toyota Debuts First-Ever GR Corolla

Reactions
Anyone else see this thing yet? How can Ford ditch the Focus RS and yet Toyota is able to release a car like this?
  • 1.6L, 3-cylinder direct/port injected turbo engine delivers 300 hp and 273 pound-feet of torque
  • GR-Four AWD system with customizable front-rear power settings
  • Available in two grades: Core and launch-year-exclusive Circuit Edition
  • Born from rally racing and tested to meet the highest standards set by master driver Akio Toyoda and professional TOYOTA GAZOO Racing drivers
  • Genuine Toyota sportscar, precision built at the GR Factory at Toyota’s Motomachi Plant
  • Complimentary 1-year membership to the National Auto Sport Association, featuring a High-Performance Driving Event with expert instruction

https://www.grcorolla.org/threads/some-cool-facts-about-the-2023-gr-corolla.499/

MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition__014-scaled.jpg MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_01-scaled.jpg MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_02-scaled.jpg MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_04-scaled.jpg MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_06-scaled.jpg MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_07-scaled.jpg MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_08-scaled.jpg MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_012-scaled.jpg MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_013-scaled.jpg MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_018_b-scaled.jpg MY23_GR-Corolla-Circuit-Edition_018-scaled.jpg

Reactions
I already asked my wife to trade her 21 corolla hatch 6mt for the gr and she said no. I'm pretty bummed out.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

OP
MScott
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I already asked my wife to trade her 21 corolla hatch 6mt for the gr and she said no. I'm pretty bummed out.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
I feel your pain bro. :cry:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Since we know Ford went "Only Trucks Bro.... except Mustang, but its also an SUV now" I'm not as upset by the existence of this and no Focus RS as I am upset that this exists and there is no new Subaru STI and the STI hatch was killed off years ago. My conspiracy theory is that since Toyota now owns a large chunk of Subaru they prevented Subaru from doing a new STI so they could do this. I want this car REALLY REALLY badly.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I bet this Corolla GR is only being launched cause Subaru isn't doing anymore STI.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I bet this Corolla GR is only being launched cause Subaru isn't doing anymore STI.
It's being launched because North America loves and wants the GR Yaris, but that was a homologation special built to go rally racing and that Yaris chassis isn't certified here (IIRC is barely a Yaris underneath). Since this Corolla is sold everywhere, putting the same motor and drivetrain in it was a no-brainer and far easier/cheaper than certifying the GR Yaris.

Pretty sure Toyota, which only owns 20% of Subaru, doesn't care if Subaru made an STI. Look at the GR86 and BRZ being nearly identical; they don't care about slicing a thin market even thinner.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
It's being launched because North America loves and wants the GR Yaris, but that was a homologation special built to go rally racing and that Yaris chassis isn't certified here (IIRC is barely a Yaris underneath). Since this Corolla is sold everywhere, putting the same motor and drivetrain in it was a no-brainer and far easier/cheaper than certifying the GR Yaris.

Pretty sure Toyota, which only owns 20% of Subaru, doesn't care if Subaru made an STI. Look at the GR86 and BRZ being nearly identical; they don't care about slicing a thin market even thinner.
Not disagreeing with you but seems like a hell of a coincidence...

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not disagreeing with you but seems like a hell of a coincidence...
Also think about the cost. Everything on the GR Corolla is proven from the GR Yaris. The motor and drivetrain are basically a direct port. For a new STI, the old motor is long gone, so they would have to, at least, engineer an upgraded version of what's in the new WRX. That will definitely cost more money what is being spent on the GR Corolla.