Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Towing w/ the ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST - STAR WHITE
Does the window sticker also show the 52T option? That's the option for the class IV tow package.
It's only listed at the top under "Functional Standard Equipment". It is not an option.

Reactions
I have a 2020 ST and pull a 27’ travel trailer (23’ box) with a dual axle weighing 4,200 lbs dry with a weight distribution hitch and electronic trailer brake controller. We’ve taken it on 5 camping trips this year, 2 of which were 1000 mi round trips in tow. These 2 trips took us through the mountains (Smoky’s and Pisgah Nat Parks).
It pulls very well for its size but like someone said earlier that it’s not the pulling but the stopping which is most important. I had one white knuckle experience going down a mountain highway when a driver in front of me decided to stop when I was building speed on wet pavement. I didn’t hit anything but I did lose traction. More than anything it was a learning experience. The tow mode works really well, especially on hills. Once you plug in the 7pin it pops up on the screen that a trailer is connected and asks for the length so that the blind spot warning is extended (based on the total length of the trailer and truck) as well as disabling cross traffic when backing up. Depending on terrain I average between 9-11 mpg’s assuming approx 4,800-5.000 lbs w supplies and empty (white, gray and black) holding tanks.
Hi, What did you do for a gain controller? Empty my trailer is 1300#. Loaded its 4400#. Empty it skids the trailer, loaded it pushes me thru the traffic lights. What to do?

Reactions
I purchased a Curt controller that varies the force on the trailer brakes based on how fast you are trying to slow down. Faster you stop, the more pressure applied to the trailer brakes. When I get home I will find the model number. I also tow a utility trailer that ranges in weight from 1400 to 5000 pounds and the Curt controller keeps the trailer safely behind the ST.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
22 here and it came with a Class IV tow package FWIW

Reactions
I know how a controller works. Got them on every truck I owned. So I take it that ford doesn't install one from the factory? Even thou I bought the trailering package? Federal law requires every trailer over 4000# to have a braking system. Ford claims it will tow 5600#'s? Do I smell a law suit here? Am I to trust my safety and the safety of others to some 3rd world aftermarket product?

Reactions
My pickup can tow 9500 pounds and it did not come with a controller. It was an option, but I chose to install one instead.

Ddrummer

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I also was surprised that electronic braking wasn’t included but a lawsuit? Nah, I like to make my ST work as advertised (400hp, AWD, 7 drive modes, 10spd trans, class IV hitch). Full of people & 2 big dogs w almost 5000# in tow it tows surprisingly well.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I know how a controller works. Got them on every truck I owned. So I take it that ford doesn't install one from the factory? Even thou I bought the trailering package? Federal law requires every trailer over 4000# to have a braking system. Ford claims it will tow 5600#'s? Do I smell a law suit here? Am I to trust my safety and the safety of others to some 3rd world aftermarket product?
it comes with the ability to plug in a controller (which is a complete bitch to install). The "trailer package" is an option to have an built in OEM hitch, 4 and 7 pin adaptors wired up automatic sway protection, towing blind spot detection and tow mode options on the display and ECU. Controllers are generally installed OEM in trucks from all that ive seen - never in an SUV.

Last edited:

usna2k

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Adding to this thread and confirming that we have a great vehicle for towing. This is our new to us 19' Airstream, we drove it home from Texas to Virginia over about 1,300 miles and over the NC mountains, it towed beautifully and I hardly felt it back there.

airstream.jpeg airstream2.jpg

Ddrummer

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Adding to this thread and confirming that we have a great vehicle for towing. This is our new to us 19' Airstream, we drove it home from Texas to Virginia over about 1,300 miles and over the NC mountains, it towed beautifully and I hardly felt it back there.

View attachment 16150 View attachment 16151
Great set up! It’s amazing what this 3 ltr turbo can do.

drakin07

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Rapid Red
Great set up! It’s amazing what this 3 ltr turbo can do.
Ddrummer and @usna2k - What tow hitches are yall using? I'm debating if I should get a distribution hitch for a travel trailer along with a brake controller. New to towing so any help and guidance is appreciated.

Reactions
Ddrummer and @usna2k - What tow hitches are yall using? I'm debating if I should get a distribution hitch for a travel trailer along with a brake controller. New to towing so any help and guidance is appreciated.
We use a Husky Centerline TS Weight Distribution / Sway Control Hitch to tow a 3500lb 19' Travel Trailer. We have about 2500 miles on the combination thus far and it tows great. Our trailer tongue weight is around 400 lbs. Without the weight distribution bars installed the S/T backend sags pretty good...the max weight I think is 500 lbs.

We use a Curt Echo Brake Controller.

https://www.huskytow.com/husky-towing-32216-weight-distribution-hitch

https://www.curtmfg.com/dm/echo-mobile-brake-controller

drakin07

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Rapid Red
We use a Husky Centerline TS Weight Distribution / Sway Control Hitch to tow a 3500lb 19' Travel Trailer. We have about 2500 miles on the combination thus far and it tows great. Our trailer tongue weight is around 400 lbs. Without the weight distribution bars installed the S/T backend sags pretty good...the max weight I think is 500 lbs.

We use a Curt Echo Brake Controller.

https://www.huskytow.com/husky-towing-32216-weight-distribution-hitch

https://www.curtmfg.com/dm/echo-mobile-brake-controller
Thank you for the help!. I went with the Curt Echo (hopefully no issues) and the equal-i-zer 4 point system (600 tongue and 6,000 tow).