Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Towed to Dealer After Engine Stopped

hbalek

Reactions
Today I was leaving my house going up a hill and the engine stopped and wouldn't restart. I called Roadside Assistance and they said maybe it is out of gas even though I told them the gauge indicated about 3 gallons left. They sent a tow truck company with 2.5 gallons of gas but it still wouldn't restart and would just crank. It seemed to turn over once or twice but wouldn't stay running. There was no check engine light or messages on the screen or on my FordPass app. So I had it towed to the dealership on a Sunday afternoon and had to Uber home. Now I have to wait for them to check it and call me back hopefully tomorrow. I have 10,827 miles on it after about 11 months of ownership, mostly problem free until today. Before 4,000 miles, I had the check engine light come on twice but a PCM reprogram/reset/update seemed to take care of the problem.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Today I was leaving my house going up a hill and the engine stopped and wouldn't restart. I called Roadside Assistance and they said maybe it is out of gas even though I told them the gauge indicated about 3 gallons left. They sent a tow truck company with 2.5 gallons of gas but it still wouldn't restart and would just crank. It seemed to turn over once or twice but wouldn't stay running. There was no check engine light or messages on the screen or on my FordPass app. So I had it towed to the dealership on a Sunday afternoon and had to Uber home. Now I have to wait for them to check it and call me back hopefully tomorrow. I have 10,827 miles on it after about 11 months of ownership, mostly problem free until today. Before 4,000 miles, I had the check engine light come on twice but a PCM reprogram/reset/update seemed to take care of the problem.
Keep us posted with the results. This is the point of buying a new vehicle. You're not supposed to get stuck on the side of the road.

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
They ordered a new fuel pump today and got me in a loaner car. As a funny side note, today as I was speaking on the phone with the service advisor and he told me the tech was able to diagnose the problem and had listed parts on my work order but did not see what they were, my FordPass app blew up with notifications. They essentially said it was a fuel pump malfunction and needed service otherwise it would stall and fail to start, which is exactly what happened on Sunday. I guess when the tech was able to start and diagnose, FordPass lit up with malfunction indicators.

F=MA

Reactions
Just think how screwed one would be if they had one of those custom built high volume fuel pumps shoot craps on a trip. Who are you gonna call?

OP
hbalek

hbalek

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
In almost 11 months, I drove the ST every single day until last Sunday. I got it back this morning and 5 days without it made me realize why I fell in love with it despite its flaws! It was such a blast to drive and handles better than much smaller vehicles like the Fusion loaner I drove for the past several days. Also, after the Fusion, the Explorer is so much quieter, smoother and more refined. It is really great to have it back!