Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Touch screen stopped responding to touch

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Today, the touch screen 'iPad' stopped responding to touch input. See mp4 movie. The dial and hard buttons work fine. The steering wheel buttons will change the station, volume. etc. as normal. I restarted (turn off, open/close door to power down screen) several times and Resized_20201209_171456.jpeg no luck. I think the software is current. Anyone seen this ?

Attachments

Reactions
Why is there a slash or a crossed out symbol on the setting icon? I think this is the first report for this version, I don't remember any member reporting this on this version which seems to be the latest one.

Reactions
Try the hard reset option. While the car is running, press and hold your Power radio button & next song button (arrows pointing right) simultaneously for a few seconds (maybe 5-10) and it should reset/reboot your screen as if you just turn the car on.

Try that...

Cheers,

Reactions
Try the hard reset option. While the car is running, press and hold your Power radio button & next song button (arrows pointing right) simultaneously for a few seconds (maybe 5-10) and it should reset/reboot your screen as if you just turn the car on.

Try that...

Cheers,
Good option to try first before engaging the dealer.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Why is there a slash or a crossed out symbol on the setting icon? I think this is the first report for this version, I don't remember any member reporting this on this version which seems to be the latest one.
Hi that is the 'automatically call emergency assist' feature disabled.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6

Try that...

Cheers,
Awesome I was wondering how to force restart, I'll give that a shot this afternoon and let you know. Thanks!

hbalek

Reactions
Awesome I was wondering how to force restart, I'll give that a shot this afternoon and let you know. Thanks!
As far as I know every time you stop and restart the vehicle, the Sync also reboots. The shortcut is to avoid stopping the engine and everything else while also moving. FYI, the ambient lighting turns off every time you hard reboot the Sync system. You have to go to settings and turn ambient lighting back on.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
yeah I restarted the car several times before shooting the video and no luck. I guess the touch screen doesn't like the cold haha. I'll try the force reboot if it is still acting up , I haven't been able to check it today yet.. appreciate all the support!

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
So this AM it worked fine. Maybe it was just tired... Thanks for all the support.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
It’s a P.O.S. system. Hear that Ford? Just use f***ing dials. Can’t tell you how many times it just doesn’t respond to touch. Maybe yours was literally not working at all. Mine works the majority of the time but is SUPER finicky, just trying to change the air settings and it doesn’t respond to touch the first or second time, or is super super slow to react, or it somehow resets itself to where nothing is selected. And this is on 80 degree days mind you. Radio knob changes station but the screen doesn’t change and still shows old station, etc. Seat is sometimes reset randomly with no lumbar support.. all par for the course, just garbage.