Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Today I learned...

KegsBdry

Reactions
I'm always discovering something new about my ST.

I got a 3 inch nail in my tire when traveling on vacation. Luckily, I had a plug kit in the trunk. But my initial thought was: Did the ST come with a spare tire or just a can of Fix-a-Flat (like my previous vehicle)? And if just a can of Fix-a-Flat, would there be a jack? Both a spare tire and jack are available. Don't forget to top off the air in the spare!

What did you learn today about your ST?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did the plug kit was it? Do you have a link? I've used a fancy plug kit below but it didn't work. I know pack the old fashion tarred rope. Also pack a air pump and fix-a-flat.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Reactions
Regarding the factory spare tire; it’s intended for limping to a tire dealer to repair your real tire AND the rock bottom minimum the USDOT requires to sell in the US. So, before our road trip last June to Park City for the ST Experience, I purchased a real wheel and tire (20” rim w/the same tire diameter), threw it in the back and suffered the loss of cargo space. It stays in the garage while I’m local, but onboard during any long trips. Police Interceptors run full size spares by replacing the 3rd row seats and cargo load floor with a purpose-built cabinet system that hinges up to access the entire spare tire well so a full sized tire can be stored. www.truckvault.com builds these systems. TruckVault-Explorer Spare Tire Access.jpeg

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I keep a plug kit and a pump…and run flat tires.
My spare tire looks suspiciously like a subwoofer now.

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
Regarding the factory spare tire; it’s intended for limping to a tire dealer to repair your real tire AND the rock bottom minimum the USDOT requires to sell in the US. So, before our road trip last June to Park City for the ST Experience, I purchased a real wheel and tire (20” rim w/the same tire diameter), threw it in the back and suffered the loss of cargo space. It stays in the garage while I’m local, but onboard during any long trips. Police Interceptors run full size spares by replacing the 3rd row seats and cargo load floor with a purpose-built cabinet system that hinges up to access the entire spare tire well so a full sized tire can be stored. www.truckvault.com builds these systems. View attachment 7891
Do you have a link for that particular system?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
That is a badd ass cargo system. Wish I could get just the bracket system without drawers. Very cool

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
It may be "bad ass" but after pricing one for my ST I decided that $5600 is a bit more than I'll spend.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It may be "bad ass" but after pricing one for my ST I decided that $5600 is a bit more than I'll spend.
Ouch. It looks pretty nice but not at that price, at least for my wallet. I’ve got the third row removed and stereo and a big lockable storage space in place of the spare and seats. Cost me maybe $250 in material. Not nearly as nice but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Maybe my ST's Auto Start Stop is timed for the stop lights around my area, but whenever the stop lights are about to turn green for my lane, the ST will start back up without me tapping my foot on the gas pedal. Perhaps there is a standard timing for light changes and the ST is set perfectly.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Maybe my ST's Auto Start Stop is timed for the stop lights around my area, but whenever the stop lights are about to turn green for my lane, the ST will start back up without me tapping my foot on the gas pedal. Perhaps there is a standard timing for light changes and the ST is set perfectly.
That would be a nice feature, but I'm sure one of the following is the reason.

1, you are running the air conditioning and within 20 second the compressor need extra juice than what the battery alone can provide.
2, your battery is getting weaker and can not support the auto start stop as often and as long.
3, you are getting ready to go when the lights change, and you release the pressure on the brake pedal or give some steering input.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
On the main cluster screen. Turn On Auto Start Stop information. It will tell you if its working or Vehicle running for Heat / AC.

Reactions
Standard practice with mine is turning that silly feature off when I start the car.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Standard practice with mine is turning that silly feature off when I start the car.
Yep, disengage the parking brake (love that sound) and the A.S.S.