Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

To tune or not to tune....

Zim

Reactions
I’ve been getting ready to get my ST tuned for a while now, but since I’ve been waiting the more I’m hearing about transmission issues. :(

im starting to wonder if this is a good idea now... kind of a bummer because the reason I bought this thing was that I thought they had the power train down pact

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not freaking out about it by any means.. But it’s not a reassuring feeling lol.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The only trans issues have been from shitty tuning or the same issues even stock ones are having. ZFG when they return or PBD would be my only options.

Reactions
It's always a risk to tune a car. With that said I buy a new car every 3 years max and all of them get tuned and I've never had one issue in 35 years of driving.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
To tune or not to tune....

Tune!

Reactions
I personally won't tune a new car.. I have a quality background and in my experience most mechanical things follow a "bathtub" curve. Meaning you'll have failures at the beginning of the product life due to a varying number of failure modes, or at the end of life. Where that "mileage" marker is, isn't a concrete science, and really depends on where/when you feel comfortable.

1619880199129.png

Reactions
I am content with the power, I had my civic tuned due to the get up and go was delayed. Tuned helped with that, this vehicle it is good at downshifting in normal for when I need to get going. I will do some mods/adjustments but I will not be tuning this car, unless Ford comes out with something then maybe I will. Also don’t want to mess up the warranty, just ended up getting an extended warranty with Ford due to the weird issues some people have with the Explorer.

GBVx

Reactions
I am more than happy with the power for daily use, if I decide to start taking it to the track, Ill flash a tune when I get there, and put it back to stock when I leave.

Reactions
In my opinion, the people that are happy with the stock performance have not driven a tuned ST. The difference is significant. When I put mine back to stock it feels like a dog. Just my two cents, of course.

OP
Z

Zim

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I’m definitely tuning this thing. Coming from an RS I know how much a tune can bring out of these ecoboosts. Just concerned about the tranny. I wish we got the same one from the f150/mustang.

Reactions
In my opinion, the people that are happy with the stock performance have not driven a tuned ST. The difference is significant. When I put mine back to stock it feels like a dog. Just my two cents, of course.
The people that are happy with stock performance realize that you can only go so fast on public roads, know that a stock ST has no problem hitting 80 plus on a short freeway on ramp or making a quick left turn. Get a tune if you want but in my opinion your wasting money getting the ST tuned for everyday driving. My Ram 2500 has no issue getting up to speed and it's a dog compared to the ST.

Reactions
It's not really about going fast...it's about acceleration. The difference is striking. But...I get why you are saying what you are saying. I didn't realize that there was such a dramatic difference either until I tuned my ST.