Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tire Replacement @ 31k Miles

JCon

Reactions
Hard vibrations at freeway speeds caused me to expedite a trip to tire shop to get Rotation & Balance. Tech wasn’t able to perform since rear tire treads were in the red zone. I’m a first time owner of a vehicle with 21” sport tires and not used to getting such quick wear (vehicle mileage 31k) Tires are stock Pirelli Scorpion.

What replacement tires did u go with?

Pirelli’s don’t offer tread life expectancy
$355/ tire

Michelle Sport Pilot 4 - 45k tread life
$456/ tire Anyone get these?

Have your tires also worn out around 30k miles?

Have you experienced vibrations at highway speeds (very noticeable in all seats, looking at headrests)?

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
The vibration is from insulation inside the tire. Common problems for the Scorpions. I highly recomend the Pilot 4 AS. We have them on our GT500, and the grip in wet and dry is breathtaking.

OP
J

JCon

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for your suggestion

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have the Michelin A/S 4's. Great tire!

OP
J

JCon

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
How would u compare the overall ride to the stock tires? Overall ride and Road noise?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Superior grip. They are quite comfy and quiet...however, difficult to compare since they are new and my recollections of the Scorpions mostly after significant wear. That said, the Pirelli's were decent tires but my experience with previous Michelin Pilot A/S is nothing but positive. However, I have previously only gotten 30k or so from my previous Micheline Pilot A/S's. Can't say how many miles I got from the Pirelli's since I run winter tires too.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Taking a quick look at Tire Rack, I see that the Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra tires have an amazing 80K mile warranty. You could probably expect 60-70K miles from them. You may sacrifice some dry grip, but ride and all weather handling should be great.

Reactions
Had the tire wobble with my tires after about 17000 miles. Costco tire shop removed all the clumps of the silencer inner coating and no problem since. Ride is like new.

Reactions
Hard vibrations at freeway speeds caused me to expedite a trip to tire shop to get Rotation & Balance. Tech wasn’t able to perform since rear tire treads were in the red zone. I’m a first time owner of a vehicle with 21” sport tires and not used to getting such quick wear (vehicle mileage 31k) Tires are stock Pirelli Scorpion.

What replacement tires did u go with?

Pirelli’s don’t offer tread life expectancy
$355/ tire

Michelle Sport Pilot 4 - 45k tread life
$456/ tire Anyone get these?

Have your tires also worn out around 30k miles?

Have you experienced vibrations at highway speeds (very noticeable in all seats, looking at headrests)?
I have the stock Pirelli Scorpions on my '21 ST. I have 47k+ miles and the tread is still decent. I've had them rotated every 5k -6k miles. I have recently noticed a tiny vibration at 70MPH+ and road noise is now present. A;sp I'm starting to lose confidence in my steering, so it is time for a new set. I'll probably get another set of Scorpions.

Reactions
Any vibrations on those Scorpions, have tire shop dismount and check for failure of innerliner. It may need to be scraped out.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So they actually put stuff inside the tire to keep the road noise down?? What exactly is it thats put inside ? Do alot of tire companies do that????

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I believe it's some type of foam.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
So they actually put stuff inside the tire to keep the road noise down?? What exactly is it thats put inside ? Do alot of tire companies do that????
It's a strip of foam glued around the inside circumference, opposite the tread of the tire.

Reactions
Correct. The foam is supposed to quit tire noise. I had to have my tires removed and scrapped clean when the the foam in a couple of tires came loose and caused bad vibrations. It happened during the first 15,000 miles. No problems with tires or vibrations since.