Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tire Balance Problems with Pirelli Scorpion's (275/45/21)

OP
philcwood

philcwood

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #21
Same problem and tires this size are hard to find right now for some reason. They have to come off at 25K, what a waste. Highway driving is really bad and spent $200 for road force balance that lasted 1 month. 275/45R21/XL 110W Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S PNCS
I live in a hot climate that may be causing the foam to move around inside the tire. In any case something is out of balance. At first around 65mph, road force balance corrected it for awhile but now starts around 50mph. I have no clue about these tires.

Looks like Goodyear Eagle F1 is the only option I am finding today.
As the foam looses adhesion it peels and the loose part becomes larger and larger with time and speed. To a point it can’t be balanced.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I never liked the wear on the Eagle's. I can get this tire, reviews are great. Yokohama Geolandar X-CV
I agree, the Yokohama's are better than the Goodyears.

Reactions
Done with the Pirelli and what appars to be a foam issue. They should issue a statement or recall on these tires. Dealer indicated they would not get involved in tire issues after the first 12 mo. I hope the new Yokohama SUV Tires will resolve the bad vibrations that start around 47mph. Problems started about 25K miles with highway vibration at 74mph. Dealer did the expensive road force balance but only lasted about a month and now I have vibrations at 47mph. Installing the Yokohama's next week.

Attachments

OP
philcwood

philcwood

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #24
Really the only work around I have found is scraping the foam out. The dealership did that on 2 of my tires. Not ideal for road noise but at least you can use the rest of the tread. Mine were 3 yrs 30k miles. I contacted Pirelli and they require the dealer to return and file the defect claim. Catch 22.

hbalek

Reactions
OP
philcwood

philcwood

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #27
Thanks very much! They look very promising with the reviews and price!

hbalek

Reactions

wnumber7

Reactions
Vehicle
ST Explorer
good morning, thinking i may have the same issue as well, wife noticed it a few days ago and i felt it yesterday. you said you had a local dealer look and address the tire? did they have any issues by removing the foam? not sure what i may get into before i call them today. any issues with the "drive ability" afterwards???