Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tink noise?

Thep3yton

Reactions
Anyone have a Tink noise? When ever I turn, brake, accelerate, or reverse I hear a Tink Tink coming from the mid or rear of the suv. I just picked it up from ford today and they said it was due to the rear axle bolt fracture recall. Litterally made the noise as I was pulling out of the service lane lol. I checked to make sure the exhaust was good and tight as I don’t want to have to pay out of pocket while it’s still under warranty. Gave the rear suspension, drive shaft, cv axles, exhaust clamps and hangers, pretty much everything I could put my hands on the wiggle test and nothing seemed to be the cause. Has this happened to anyone else? Couldn’t find a thread explains the same noise I am experiencing.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
it could be the rear axle spline into the knuckle. i believe there is a TSB on it and the fix is to lubricate the splines. it's a metallic "tink" from the rear.

Last edited:
OP
Thep3yton

Thep3yton

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
it could be the rear axle spline into the knuckle. i believe there is a TSB on it and the fix is to lubricate the splines. it's a metallic "tink" from the rear.

Thank you, you were right. Picked it up yesterday. They ended up replacing both half shafts. Kind of concerned that it was already an issue as my explorer on has 17000 miles and definitely hasn’t been abused but it was warranty lol

balkda2

Reactions
They lubed mine up the other day. Fixed my ting. 25k Miles

E-Fortes

Reactions
Don't replace anything, just lubricate and tighten again!