Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Throttle Bodies, CFM, and Mass Airflow

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There was recently a thread about larger throttle bodies for the ST. I wanted to address this in a comprehensive way for those interested (Must be more than just me!)

First, let's talk about airflow in terms of Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM) vs Mass Airflow. CFM is a VOLUME measurement; it doesn't address density/mass of the air which is a product of pressure and temperature. When we talk about Volumetric Efficiency (VE) of an engine, we are assigning a value in terms of percent to theoretical volume of air an engine will ingest at a given RPM vs the actual amount consumed. Let's first calculate the ST engine's CFM. We'll use a 3 Liter displacement at 6000 rpm and 100% VE. Doing the math and converting to imperial units, our ST engine will consume approximately 318 CFM.

Employing the calculation of CFM through a pipe and using 100 m/s for the variable of velocity (this number has been used for port design for 30+ years as the maximum speed for inertia tuning while keeping the velocity low enough to minimize boundary layer disruption) we can calculate CFM flow rates through various throttle body sizes. Note that this is the internal diameter of the bore and doesn't address restrictions like throttle plates, etc.

40mm = 266 cfm Obviously too small for our engine
50mm = 416 cfm Probably a good size, and still leaves us 98 cfm leeway for throttle plate interference.
60mm = 600 cfm It's pretty clear that this would be more than enough and would represent about a 2.4 inch bore.
70mm = 815 cfm No problem!

Now I don't know the exact size of the ST throttle body, but this gives you an indication of whether a larger one is needed. Bear in mind, the intake manifold would also have be able to have this same diameter from the throttle body transition. I'd suspect the ST is probably in the 60mm category and therefore any enlargement is unnecessary.

Last edited:
OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
As long as we're on the subject, what about horsepower? Engines run on mass airflow- the actual mass of the air; which for our example we'll use cubic ft of air in pounds (lbs).

At STD temp and pressure (68 degrees F at 14.7 psi or sea level) 1 cubic foot of air weighs .075 lbs. If we take our 318 CFM * .075 lbs/cu-ft= 23.85 lbs-air/minute. A good rule of thumb (educated guess) which we can apply to boosted engines is 1 lb air / minute = 10 hp on GASOLINE- methanol, ethanol, and nitromethane are of course different!. In this case, that would be around 239 hp. For a production N/A engine displacing 3 liters at 6000 rpm, that's about 80hp/liter and happens to be pretty close to a number of engines with those characteristics.

With that in mind, we can estimate the ST engine (just for grins) at various lbs/min flow rates. Using this info, let's calculate stock hp- remember it's rated 400hp @ 5500 rpm = 291 cfm. Now assume 2 bar or 14.7 psig @100F out of intercooler = .142 lbs/cu ft * 291 cfm = 41.27 or about 413 hp given our variables. So if the stock boost is about 2 bar, that's a pretty good estimate. That's why I've asked multiple times for the stock boost levels which has never resulting in a satisfactory answer which would give me an idea of VE for calcs. Now for grins, if we calculate for 6000 rpm, 100% VE, 318 cfm, with 100 degrees F out of the intercooler and sea level pressure at the compressor inlet:

Bar PSIg HP

2 14.7 451
2.2 17.6 496
2.4 20.6 541
2.6 23.5 586

Understand, that CFM did NOT change, nor can it. Only the air density- which is why boosted engines work! Hope this was informative.

Last edited:
Reactions
Good read for sure! I must say I appreciate this forum for this reason. Tons of good info on here ST specific as well as universal.

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I should add one other important point. The ST uses a "blow through" throttle body (TB)- meaning the air is already pressurized before going through the TB. A bit of checking will show how popular larger TBs are with the supercharged crowd. That's because they are pulling in atmospheric air through the TB and THEN pressurizing it.

For example, a supercharged engine with the same specs (318 cfm) wanting to build 2 bar of boost would require approximately twice the volume of air (636 cfm) to traverse the throttle body. This example should illustrate why those with positive displacement superchargers when upping the boost (changing the pulleys) look for throttle body upgrades and why such upgrades are far less important for an ST.

Last edited:

El_steveo

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Enjoyed the write up and the take in some simple parts of thermodynamics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk